Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MY AUDIO WORKS BUT I CAN'T HEAR THIS CLIP

• Please log in to reply

Miriamsil

Miriamsil

• Pip
  • 9 posts
http://news.walla.co.il/?w=//808627

DEAR HELPFUL INDIVIDUALS,

THE ABOVE URL IS A NEWS CLIP; I CAN SEE IT AND I CAN'T HEAR IT.

I CAN PLAY OTHER SOUNDS AND CLIPS USING WINAMP.

I DOWNLOADED SOME CODECS BUT IT DIDN'T HELP.

WHAT AM I MISSING? I USED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS.

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR THE ANSWER, WHICH I KNOW WILL BE PAINFULLY OBVIOUS TO EVERYBODY EXCEPT ME.

/ MIRIAM S

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most instrumental music on web pages are MIDI files, while other sounds like "You've got mail!" are usually WAV files. Rather than representing musical sound directly, MIDI files transmit information about how a song should sound that is then processed by your sound card. WAV files represent musical sound directly.

Both types have their own volume control in your computer.

Go to your system tray and double click your speaker icon. A volume control interface will come up.

Make sure that you have your Wave, MIDI and CD audio all turned up and that "Mute" is unchecked.

This should allow you to hear all the sounds of the web.

Miriamsil

Miriamsil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear Kieth,

Thanks for the tip, but , i know this is jerky sounding, but what is a system tray? Nothing at the taskbar , which i assume to be the bar of things to run on the bottom, looks like a system tray. I looked down by the clock; there's the 'show desktop ' icon, and the control panel; but what is the system tray?

baffled!

MS

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With the bit along the bottom being the taskbar, the icons next to the clock form the system tray, usually with task sceduler being the last on left

If you hold the mouse pointer over any of them, you should get a brief description of what these are, and do.

If none are the volume control, perhaps a speaker icon, then click start, settings, control panel, double click multimedia, click devices, click + next to audio devices, not the name, click the MIDI tab and check it is the same device, then click audio to check playback is also the same device, click advanced properties for playback to see it is set to use the type of speakers you have

Double click audio HQ then look for volume there, or mixer to adjust the volume

Miriamsil

Miriamsil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Still no go.

I downloaded Media Player 9, rather than 10, and downloaded Winamp again. Still, the link i sent still doesn't play. Neither do any of the clips from the Windows player. Other music files I can hear thru winamp.

Something is blocking the audio. But what?

Miriam

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the clip, below the volume control, there is an underlined word which starts their player, click this and see if you can hear anything

Miriamsil

Miriamsil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear Keith,
No, it doesn't change anything.
Besides, how would that explain the silence of the windowsmedia player which provides its own clips?
Another thing that stopped playing is Limewire: a file sharing program. I used to be able to hear the downloaded songs by clicking them. Now I cannot; I have to go thru the Explorer to click the songs in the same directory, and then the play thru winamp.