Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No display on monitor after upgrade

• Please log in to reply

icetim

icetim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I recently installed a new motherboard and CPU. But when turning on the PC I get no display on the monitor, the power light just flashes on/off.

The monitor works fine on another system and the case fans, CPU fan and graphics card fan also starts fine. The keyboard also works. However, I don't get any system beeps though when the PC starts.

The strange thing is, prior to upgrade, my old system done the same thing (which is why I decided to order a new motherboard and CPU!!), but after a leaving the PC for few hours it then booted ok (I was prompted to reset bios settings to default though).

My system is:
AMD-64 Sempron 3400
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
(I haven't connected up any drives or extra cards yet)

If you need anymore details please let me know.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Edited by icetim, 16 November 2005 - 06:34 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take stuff out to try and get it to beep at you. Of course check the obvious, that the speaker is plugged in the right pins.

Getting a system to beep can usually be done one of three ways, as that has a AMI bios:

1) Boot with no memory
2) Boot with no graphics card installed
3) Take the battery out, find the clear CMOS jumper, move it, move it back, put the battery in, system should give a beep and "CMOS bad" error.

Having said that, if you had to leave the system a while to get it to post in the first place, your battery could be bad.

For the record, Award BIOSes are easy to diagnose - if it beeps at you, it's graphics :tazz: Otherwise its written on the screen.

icetim

icetim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried booting without the CPU installed and a vocal message stated 'No CPU installed'. However when booting without any RAM or video card I received no message.

I've cleared the CMOS memory and checked for any loose/incorrectly fitted cables/jumpers/screws etc. I know the RAM, PSU, video card and monitor work ok because I re-fitted my old motherboard and CPU and it booted fine.

Not really sure where to go from here... :tazz:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How big's your current PSU wattage-wise?

Just because it runs your previous board okay (which probably uses less power) doesn't mean its going to cope with the demands of your new setup.

Ideally you should be looking at least 400W output minimum, preferably more.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I agree with Neil let us know what power supply you have so we can make sure it is good enough.

If i understand correctly the computer will now boot to bios, if so I would let it idle in bios for awhile and monitor the temps and voltages, if temps are in the normal range and voltages ain't all over the place load the bios defaults and install the drives and try and load windows.

It could have just been one of those things.

Rick