Getting pop-ups... [RESOLVED]
Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:07 PM
your system is clean
Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
Detect and Remove Programs:
- How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
- Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
- Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
Firewall<= A firewall is definatley a must have. Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place?
and Spyware Aid's spyware article: Spyware, Adware, Malware: What it is, how it got on my computer, how to get rid of it, and how to prevent it.
Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:35 AM
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users