Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with some website's address

• Please log in to reply

sooch90

sooch90

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
so i dunno if this is the right place to go, but i'm pretty sure it is.

So here's the thing. When I start typing in something in the address bar (ex: google.com), but just say I type in just the "g". Then a drop down box appears and it has a list of websites that start with "g", and it narrows the websites down as I type in more of the word such as "goo". By then it has "www.google.com" as a website. I've noticed that this only happens when I went to the site recently.

Now when I type in "america", a site called "Americasarmy.com" appears (it's a website of a videogame). This is strange though because it keeps appearing even though I've deleted my history? (which is the reason why I deleted my history, to see if it went away, but it's not going away). Does this have something to do with a virus? I mean I doubt it does, because americasarmy.com was created by the government. But I'm still curious why it doesn't go away? How do you make it go away?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Known Internet Explorer 6 problem (has been one since IE6 first came out), where URLs get "stuck" in the address bar. Often occurs when the system falls over for whatever reason and when it comes back up, the last URL is stuck.

This can be sorted by deleting your Index.dat file for your profile, but this file is locked by Windows so you can't delete it from this computer. You may be able to do it in Safe Mode under a different account though, but I haven't tried it so can't vouch for it. Windows will recreate the file next time.

sooch90

sooch90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
so do you think it's safe to delete Index.dat file? (Where do I find it?)

is there another way?

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: You may want to consider installing "Traceless" from
www.traceless.cjb.net !? Under the "Clear" Menu,
there is "Clear Internet URL drop-down list" setting
that you could "check", click "OK", reboot the
computer and see if it worked. I also use the