Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

activation problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

noobtech

noobtech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have a computer with windows xp home. I need to activate windows to log in now but when i choose to log in and im promted with the message box asking me to activate it. I choose yes and it starts to log in but then logs out. I dont understand whats going on with it. Should i try a windows repair or is there an easier way?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Was your XP install ever activated??

Did you try the "Phone Activation" option??

Murray

noobtech

noobtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
no i work at a computer repair place and this computer came in after the 30 days expired so i cant log in til i activate it, but when i click yes to activate after i try logging in it logs right out and does nothing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're gonna have to do the activate by phone option and call the number

noobtech

noobtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
i cant, the 30 days are up. When i choose to log in im promted with the box that says i have to activate windows to log in. I click yes. It logs me out right away. Nothing else comes up but that message box. This is why im asking for help. Under normal circumstances i can do it easily.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the activatioin has passed it's 30 days...it shouldn't even allow you to get to the login screen...it should just pop up with the activation screen...

are you sure it doesn't give you an optioin that say s activate now instead of logging in?

noobtech

noobtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yes, this is the first computer i've seen with this problem, im gonna try a windows repair and see if that does anything

noobtech

noobtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
hmm blue screen of death during the repair...

zonda

zonda

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello to everyone at G2G, my first post!
Another possibility is that the person who had the computer tried using an XP activation crack but it didn't work, I used an XP activation crack that wasn't for the right version on my comp and although it seemed like it was working, the activation popup stopped until it reached the 30th day, when it prompted me to activate, however, when clicked on, it would say it's already updated and just log out again, now that my comp has screwed up I have the same problem, the computer logs in only to show a white box with only the heading Windows Activation and it just freezes there. I still haven't worked out a solution to this one, that's why I'm on these forums, however, I just thought i'd shed some light on some other possbilities.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Hello to everyone at G2G, my first post!
Another possibility is that the person who had the computer tried using an XP activation crack but it didn't work, I used an XP activation crack that wasn't for the right version on my comp and although it seemed like it was working, the activation popup stopped until it reached the 30th day, when it prompted me to activate, however, when clicked on, it would say it's already updated and just log out again, now that my comp has screwed up I have the same problem, the computer logs in only to show a white box with only the heading Windows Activation and it just freezes there. I still haven't worked out a solution to this one, that's why I'm on these forums, however, I just thought i'd shed some light on some other possbilities.

Hello zonda (Alphonse). We meet again. After discussing your cracked windows in chat and informing you of our policy regarding this, I happened across this post right now. As I told you in chat, we do NOT help anyone who is running a cracked version of Windows. You will not be receiving ANY help here. :tazz: Keep in mind that the answer to your chat question "who BUYS Windows" is...MOST of us. When we buy our pc, we are buying windows. When we build them...we BUY it. yes, there are people who choose to crack it instead. That's their business, I suppose...illegal as it is. But when they (and you) come here for help with it...you won't get it here. :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

no i work at a computer repair place and this computer came in after the 30 days expired so i cant log in til i activate it, but when i click yes to activate after i try logging in it logs right out and does nothing.

From our Terms of Use, that you agreed to when you joined:
Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers
• We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

As you stated you work for a computer repair place, this thread is being closed.