Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Too many things running in background, need help

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

I have far too much junk that loads every time I boot my computer and, as a result, it takes far too long to boot up. I would like to prevent the following from running constantly in the background and just launch them when I need them:

Picassa 2
Kodak Easy Share
Yahoo IM
MSN Messenger

Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks.

(If this is not the right place to post this please let me know. Thanks again.)

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dln159...Welcome to G2G!

Click Start then Run and type msconfig into the Run box...click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab. In the list, find the applications you want to stop from loading at startup and uncheck the box next to them. Click "Apply" and "Ok". Restart your computer.

Upon restart, you will get a "Selective Startup" dialog box. Check the box in the lower left corner and click "Ok".

Those applications will no longer load on startup... :tazz: