Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

dhamal

dhamal

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well the internet stopped working and the audio stopped also but everything else works and when i check on the processes that are running it seems like i am constantly in the diagnostic tartup and the RPC locator isn't running or the Windows Audio isnt running and when i go to services.msc and try to enable either one of these I get an error 1068. Thanks for the help in advance

Advertisements

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: As a 1st attempt to solve that problem, I would suggest you go to www.grc.com/dcom
and download, then install the "DCOMbobulator" and use it to "disable" your "DCOM";
sometimes this corrects a RPC Error .

dhamal

dhamal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
nope it didnt work but thanks for trying

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: I just read thru the EmilyPam thread you mentioned; it sure was a long one
and all because of a corrupted installation of XP SP2 !?
By the way, what is your OS ? Which Service Pack ?
2nd attempt : When you said you went to services.msc and try to enable,
does that mean you looked at "State of Services" and made sure RPC was
"set to start automatically" ? If not, right-click it and select "Properties" and
the "Startup Type" to "Automatic" .
When you say the internet stopped working, do you mean you cannot
connect to the net OR that you can connect, but cannot go from site to site ?
Or do you mean something different ? Specifics may help .
Have you had a recent bout with any malware ?

Edited by SpiritWind, 18 November 2005 - 11:32 AM.

dhamal

dhamal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have windows XP pro with service pack 2
i went to services.msc and RPC was set to disable a nd i changed it to automatic and then i tired hitting start but got error 1608.
the internet has COMPLETELY stopped it doesnt connect and when you type ipconfig in msdos it says that the ip adress is 0.0.0.0.0 and then when you try to refresh it it says that the RPC server is unavailable.
actually i had a friend come over and diagnose the malwareand thats when the internet stopped working he deleted some file called pokapoka79

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: The process of cleaning & removing some types of adware/spyware/malware
MAY possibly interrupt and/or "kill" an internet connection. Therefore :
3rd attempt : obtain a copy of either or both of LSPFIX and Winsockfix,
by downloading them onto a CD from a working computer,
from www.spychecker.com/program . Then insert that CD into your
computer & let us know what happens .
Did your computer come with SP2 already installed or did you install it
to replace what was on the computer ? If you did the latter, did you
run reliable spyware scans to make sure you were probably free of
malware BEFORE installing SP2 ?

dhamal

dhamal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
well i've run both of those programs to no avail (however i didnt "know what i was doing" with the LSPFIX and there fore did not touch any of the settings) and i actually did install windows SP2 by myself but since my computer had crashed before i installed SP2 with absolutely nothing on the had drive so there was no way for spyware to get on it it before SP2.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dhamal...

SpiritWind has asked if I would poke my nose in and see if I can help figure this out.

Please download HiJackThis, install it, run it, and attach a log for me. Let's see what all is running on this machine and whether it should be...

wannabe1

dhamal

dhamal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Edited by dhamal, 22 November 2005 - 12:01 AM.

dhamal

dhamal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Edited by dhamal, 22 November 2005 - 12:01 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
dhamal...

I have your logs...you can now edit them out of your posts to prevent them from being "Googled"

Your machine is seriously infected with a bunch of nasty stuff...this is more than likely the problem. We need to get this stuff off the machine before we can fix it up. Most of this probably came in through LimeWire downloads... :tazz: Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 November 2005 - 05:33 PM.