Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shut down and wont turn back on!

• Please log in to reply

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I was just surfing the net when all of a sudden the computer shut down. I tried to turn it back on and it would not, unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in and still wouldnt turn on. I am thinking it might be the power supply as I was cheap and bought a cheap case with a 430W power supply, but I am not sure if it is the power supply. Also, since it was a hard shut down; will there by any data loss? I have 2 hard drives and the second hard drive had all my stuff on it, important stuff. Will I loose all of this stuff on both hard drives? Any help is greatly appreciated...

Advertisements

csu266

csu266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Anyone??

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
battery is out??? haaha yea i think is mostly is the power supply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I doubt it hurt the data on the slave hdd it could have corupted windows on the master but you could do a repair install of XP (if this is what you are running) and save your dataon that drive as well.

But first things first, I can explain how to test the psu if you have some hardware knowledge, this will requier you to open the case and remove the psu. Please let me know how you want to proceed.

Please also list your system specs.

Rick

csu266

csu266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi rick,
Thanks for the reply. But I got a new power supply today and it all works fine. I did not even loose any data. I put the new PS in and it started up like normal. Runs quieter and cooler now than before. But if I stick my face to the exit of the power supply you can smell some stuff..its not strong but its there. Just making sure this is not abnormal. This time I forked over and got a decent Antec 430W power supply.

As for my system specs:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
Western Digital 80gig hdd ->C:
Seagate 120gig hdd -> slave
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB-->going to upgrade to nVidia 6800gt..please let me know if it is worth it as all my games play fine as is
DVD ROM
DVD burner

Thanks again

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well thats good news, you got yourself a good psu there, as for the smell its new and like anything thats
assembled and goes from cold to warm will do that I am sure its nothing to worry about and will diminish.

As far as the video card, if you are happy with the way it plays games I would hold off till you find a game the existing card won't play well, maybe by then the card you are considering will come down in price witch they always do or a newer card will come out thats better.

Rick

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If it is working fine now just keep an eye on it if you seem worried.

It might be the "new" smell.. lol

Dont leave it running all night long if you think something is wrong.