Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player problem

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I just installed Windows ME on my computer last night and did all the necessary Windows updates, including upgrading to Windows Media Player 9.0. However, I am unable to stream media from websites. Usually, I would just click on the link and it would load in WMP as it played. Now WMP sits there, as if it's loading, but it doesn't do anything. I try to manually close it, which it doesn't, so I have to ctrl + alt + delete and manually shut it down. Everything else seems to be fine. If I download the file and open it up that way, it works fine. It's only streaming that is having a problem. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi prettyvacant...

It may be that your system specs won't support this version properly. If you'll post your system specs for me, I may be able to tell you. If you don't know all the specs for your machine, you can download SysSpec from the link in my signature and post a log for me.

Alternatively, you could uninstall the version 9 and download Version 7.1 and see if your performance improves.

wannabe1

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I downloaded Sysspect. Here's my log:

indows: Windows ME4.90 (Build 3000)
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ Processor
CPU Speed: 1241.9 MHz
Sound card: C-Media Wave Device
Display Adapters: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 |
Screen Resolution: 800 X 600
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: PPP Adapter. | SiS NIC SISNIC |
CD / DVD: G: | H: |
Default Printer:
COM Ports: COM1 | COM2 |
LPT Ports:
Mouse: 3 Button Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 3.7GB | D: 11.1GB | E: 11.1GB | F: 11.4GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 2.1GB | D: 11.0GB | E: 4.7GB | F: 11.4GB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: K7S5A
Serial Number:
Power Status: High
BIOS Date: Not Detected
Time Zone:

It's weird, I installed ME about 2 months ago on my computer and was able to download Windows Media Player 9.0 fine. I reconfigured my computer the other day and now it won't take it. It should have all the same system specs as I had before. Do you see anything that looks like it's preventing Media Player from working?

Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
prettyvacant...

Your system should handle WMP 9 just fine. I am curious, though, as to why you have your HDD split into so many partitions. That's leaving your C: drive very small. Your system would handle Win XP it the drive wasn't all split up like that...

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling WMP 9 and see if that helps...you may have gotten a corrupt download or bad install.

Let me know how you fare...

wannabe1

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yeah, that was my dad's idea. I asked him the other night and I guess one of his computer buddies told him if the C drive is small, the system will load up faster in general. I like partitions, but I don't like the C drive to be so small because even though I try to install programs on other drives, some automatically install onto the C drive. Anyways, I finally found the culprit. Another problem I've been having is QuickStartup kept popping on my systray even though I disabled it in msconfig. Well, I finally disabled it and then deleted it from my system. And voila...I'm able to stream with Windows Media Player again. Killed two birds with one stone. I'm guessing maybe when it streamed, it was trying to open up in QuickTime which was not installed and that's why it led to that error. Just glad to have fixed it.

Thanks for your help and time, though. :tazz: