Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which to buy?

• Please log in to reply

magneto_ms

magneto_ms

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I currently have a 1.8ghz, 512mb, geforce 4mx 440 64 mb system.(15"crt monitor)

Now i have around 7000k ( 150$) to spare. I am in a dilemma about whether to buy an lcd monitor or go for a graphics card upgrade(nvidia 6600 gt beckons :) )

I use the computer for long hours and am really worried about it screwing my eyes up. I have heard that lcd monitors reduce the strain to ur eyes very much and also go easy on the electric bill. I don't want to go for the lcd option if the eye strain issue for lcd monitors is more or less equal to CRT+radiation free glass thing(which i am currently using). But if i get a 17" lcd 4 that range i would anyway go for the monitor.

About what i do on the computer, it is essentially a lot of photoshop, flash and other graphics stuff. But i don't work much on any 3d applications. Also i am not an avid gamer. So wondering whether it would be worth it 4 me going for the graphics card. :tazz:

Any suggestions...?

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
your current graphics card is more than adaquate for what you are doing. even if you were doing some 3d applications, it could still handle it to an extent. on the other hand, and lcd monitor is "not that great" of an upgrade in my opinion, i still use 2 montiors that are 10 years old, and i spend most of my day on a computer, and i get no headaches or anything. theres nothing wrong with a good crt monitor. as far as i can see about you, you dont really need either, but i guess go with the lcd if you wanna spend money.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It really depends on the person and the monitors, some people can use a CRT and have no bother but some people who have there monitors at anything but the highest frequencies with anti radiation montior and a flat screen will have a headcache within twenty minutes. As monitors ive had LCDs for a few years now and i cant go back to crt, especaily non flat screen ones and i havent had a headache or eyestrain since i got mine a samsung 19" with 8ms response cheap as well cheaper that alot of the 17" inch monitors. Its up to you if you arent a gamer you arent in much need of a gaming gfx card. Once you go to LCD you dont go back the advantages are just so good, and it frees your desk its surprising how much room you really have when you chuck the giant CRT. Your also less loath to replace them as they are alot cheaper than CRT monitors.