Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP addresses, please help

• Please log in to reply

andrew12345

andrew12345

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi i am on telewest blueyonder and have been trying to connect to the internet through the usb port. i have installed it but it won't connect as i need an IP address....does anyone know what address to use?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you've got your computer connected to your modem through usb? and you installed the program from telewest right?

is this a cable modem or dsl?

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi, it is a cable modem and yes its installed but doesnt work, smthing to do with the ip address i think

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well you should be getting an ip address from the cable modem...do you have an ethernet card and an ethernet cable?

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yes but id like to use the ethernet cable for another pc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right....but lets just see if we can get it to work at all...before we start getting into that....if you can get the connection to work ala ethernet..t.hen we've ruled out a large number of problems (such as bad modem. bad machine...bad connection)

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yes, the ethernet connection works perfectly im using it now, thanks for helping btw

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok so with the ethernet..there's absolutely no issue whatso ever...ok

what make and model is the modem?

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
it is a motorola sb4100 surfboard cable modem

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.duxcw.com...umID2/1737.html

that suggests that motorola themselves say that it's not possible to have both ehternet and usb connected to the device at the same time...which is thoroughly disconcerting.....all of the suggestions involve buying an ethernet hub or switch (relatively cheap at any store)...and just doing it that way...i'll keep reading...but this looks like the quickest sollution

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have more than one computer. Do I need more than one Motorola SURFboard computer modem?

No, if your computers are connected via a network, one Motorola cable modem will support up to 32 computers. Since each computer must have its own unique IP address - which you can order through your cable provider or ISP - expect to pay a little extra each month for each additional computer you tie in.

Soon Motorola will be offering our newest addition to the SURFboard family, the SBG100 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. This Gateway will allow you to link multiple PCs throughout your home via Ethernet, USB, wireless and HPNA.

that's directly from motorola....so theoretically you'd have to lease a second ip for the other machine

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok thanks for your time

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You will need to install a driver to install the modem on the USB port. You can get this from the CD that came with your modem, or from Motorola's website.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hey admin.....he said he installed the software from the disk on the machine...

motorolla themselves claim that you cannot have a usb and ethernet connection set up at the same time....some people have suggested...only using one machine at a time...basically oone on ethernet and one on usb...when you want to use the usb..you unplug the ehternet...powercycle the modem...and you should be on your way...

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
what do u mean by powercycle the modem?