Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates Failed

• Please log in to reply

rsiebent

rsiebent

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

This is my Aunt and Uncle's computer that I am trying to get the updates for, but they have been failing for some time now. I am running Windows Update from Microsoft.com. KB 896688 and KB904018 appear to downlaod fine, but fail during installation. KB890830 (which appeared more recently) appears to fail during download. Internet searches appear to identift KB896688 as the problem, so that is the update I will focus on. The first time it failed, the following error was given in the update history: 0x80246008. Subsequent attempts have either shown as cancelled in the update history or yeilded this same error code. The logfile for KB896688 from the Windows folder shows this:

1.531: 2005/11/17 13:15:59.375 (local)
1.531: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\22c734c12ba2228809e817e4675732a3\update\update.exe (version 6.1.22.4)
1.531: Failed To Enable SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGE
1.531: Hotfix started with following command line: -q /Z -ER /ParentInfo:15159e693052234b8fa6b70122d59cdf
1.531: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 ( Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
1.547: KB896688 Setup canceled.
1.547: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d

As far as I know, none of the folders have been moved from their original locations. The Windows folder and the Program Files folder are both found in C:. Any help you can offer will be much appreciated as all of my attempts have fallen short. Thanks!

Edited to add: This computer is running Windows XP Home and McAfee. I did try the update with the virus protection turned off, but still no luck. This problem aside, the computer should be up to date and protected.

Edited by rsiebent, 17 November 2005 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Turn off automatic updates and do them one at a time. Some updates will simply not install together.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Step 1
Are you getting a specific error message?
If so, go here and check it

http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

If no error, go to step 2

Step 2

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 jscript.dll
<enter>

try windows update. Now working still? Try

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
<enter>

try windows update. Now working still? Try

step 3

Download and install the following

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Also, make sure the date and time are set correctly.

rsiebent

rsiebent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the responses!

First I tried all of the updates one at a time, and I was able to get KB904018. Next I tried following the suggestions microsofts help gave for the error 0x80246008. When that didn't work, I followed the remaining steps that dsenette suggested, but I still cannot get the remaining two updates. The date and time are showing correctly. Do you know of anything else I can try?