Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Parallel printer into USB port

• Please log in to reply

jdubxxl

jdubxxl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Canon Multipass multifunction from a number of years back that did not come with USB capability, but I recently purchased an adapter cable. Windows XP recognized immediately that i've connected a printer via USB, so I think the cable is fine. I changed the port in the printer settings to USB001 (USB002 was also listed), but when I try to print, there is no communication taking place. Could my Canon drivers or print managing software be interfering? Thanks for your thoughts.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Does your motherboard not have a parallel port on it, usually a long purpose one on the back where the keyboard and others things go? The ports might be years old but still exist on modern systems.

Usually you can plug the printer straight into there with a parallel cable and tell the computer to use port LPT1 instead.

Adaptors can cause more issues than they solve, so I wouldn't recommend using them unless there's no other way to get round it.

jdubxxl

jdubxxl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Neil... Sure, i've been using the unit for years with the standard parallel cable, but I recently built a custom desk in my den, and I didn't want to cut a hole in it big enough to get that mammoth connector through. I got a response from Canon (in about 2 hours... phenomenal support for such a large company, not to mention for a product that's 4 or 5 years old!) and they say their printers won't work with such an adapter. I didn't notice any compatibility lists when I was researching it. Oh well, I also discovered that you can get a refurbed multifunction for $40, so i'll just get one that's all USB.

Thanks for your thoughts