Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system recover

• Please log in to reply

freakynice

freakynice

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have windows98..i want to run system rcovery cds ..but some how its not working..it gets freaz ..i want to know what is a proper way to run recovery cds
thx

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
freakynice...

Depending on what kind of machine you have, usually it is a matter of putting the Recovery CD into the CD-ROM drive and restarting the machine. If you have a Recovery Set it is usually Disk 1 that contains the Operating System.

wannabe1

freakynice

freakynice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yeah thts the one i have it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
freakynice...

Do you need assistance with the recovery procedures?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 November 2005 - 10:26 PM.

freakynice

freakynice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
no dont worry i only got ur right topic i didnt get tht one

freakynice

freakynice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well im on the laptop right now bcuz the desk top is very slow so i thought i check all things here n then move on but i will do need it ..just tell me the basic what to do so i will do it thanx

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
freakynice...

First, why is it you want to run the recovery? There are some options available to us that will preserve the data on your machine. Recovery procedures will destroy all the data on the machine.

What kind of machine do you have. Make and model will help me to give you accurate advice.

wannabe1

freakynice

freakynice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
first of all i want to reinstall the windows because i tried to keep it good..so many times i got help from this site i really appricite it but within few motnhs some problems show up ..like pop ups viruses speed like nothing even though i got cable on the system cant open web sites ...if i go to any site luckly it takes forever ...so im really pissed off..let me know if u can help me in this matter thankx

freakynice

freakynice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
sorry i forgot to tell you the model of my pc its HP PAVILION 8668C

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
freakynice...

All the information you need to do either a system recovery or a destructive recovery are on This Page.

There are also links there for updated drivers and other pertinent information regarding your machine. Since you seem to be having recurring issues with malware, I would suggest the destructive recovery which will format your hard drive. You will lose all data on the drive and will have to reinstall all applications and drivers, but you will have a clean install.

wannabe1

freakynice

freakynice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i followed tht linkd to run a cd one but as i process to click on a recover button my computer freez alll the time i unpulgged printer and internet cable to the cpu can i get help here?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
freakynice...

Was your machine hanging like that before or does it only happen when trying to run the recovery? Have you added a video card or are you still running on the video that came on the machine?

wannabe1

freakynice

freakynice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
no i didnt add nothing in my pc im using it as it is..yeah it hangs only when i try to run recovery cd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's wipe the drive another way and then try the recovery...

Download this Bootdisk to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file and put a fresh floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. This will create a Win98 startup disk.

Restart with the Win98 Startup disk in the floppy drive. When presented with the Options Screen, press F5 (on some versions: Shift > F5) for Command Prompt. You will see the A:\ prompt...type fdisk and press "Enter".

On the next screen type Y to enable large disk support.

In the "FDISK Options" screen, use option 3 to delete the partition and press "Enter" (You may be prompted to accept the deletion...accept it.) and press "Enter" then press "Esc" to return to the "FDISK Options" screen. Choose option 1 to "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" and press enter..again, accept the change.

On the "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" screen, choose option 1 to "Create Primary DOS partition" and press "Enter". Type Y to "use the maximum available size and set the partition as Active"...press "Enter"

On the next screen, press "Esc" to get the A:\ prompt and then press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart your machine.

When presented with the Options Screen, press F5 (on some versions: Shift > F5) for Command Prompt. You will see the A:\ prompt...type format C: /s and press "Enter"...type Y to accept the change and press "Enter". Formatting will take a while...be patient.

When the format is complete and you are back at the A:\ prompt, insert your Win98 Installation CD and type D: and press "Enter". Then type setupat the D:\ prompt and press "Enter". Setup will then check the Hard Drive...this may take a while...be patient. Installation should then begin...just follow the prompts.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 November 2005 - 11:35 PM.