Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What ram do you suggest

• Please log in to reply

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok I got a stick of 512 pc2100 and I want somthing a little bit faster than that. With my current setup is pc3200 going to make a big difference? If not should I just add another stick of pc2100?
There are a couple that are pretty low priced that I was looking at
Ultra
Kingston
Corsair
Are any of these good? Most of the reviews are good except a couple people saying they will never buy them again. hmm
Oh yeah and I'm on a budget thats why I was looking at the cheap stuff.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi AMD 2400!

Got a couple of questions first before I suggest what type of RAM you should get. What is the make and model # of your motherboard? Why I'm asking this, is so that I can check and see what is the max speed ram that your motherboard can support. Would be an awful shame for you to buy ram and then can't use it. :tazz:

Fenor

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
FIC (First International Computer) AM37
ok well I went to there website and with what I got out of it it only supports pc1600 and 2100.
If that is correct then would it be better just to upgrade my motherboard and get better ram later on?
Plus by what I have read so far I don't think I can overclock my cpu or ram with this motherboard.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Corsair is great memory.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i would say a good mobo is an investment, but i would reccomend that you just save up and get a new PC when you can afford it.If you are wanting a little boost a cheapish 512mb stick of pc2100 will give you as much as your really gonna get from the machine especailly with that fx5200 gfx card(which wont be a facator at all if you arent a big gamer).

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
yeah well i guess i should just save up for a new computer. I dont really need a new one yet anyway. My computer runs pretty fast for what it is. Some of my friends have athlon 64 3400's with more ram than me and a better gfx card and my computer still runs just as fast and plays games at the same quality settings as them.
I'm just one of those people that good just isnt good enough.
Oh and I play a lot of games.
The reason I really want some more performance is because the xbox 360 is out and the PS3 will be out and they will have better graphics than my computer and I just cant let a console system beat my computer. It's just not right.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I doubt your pc will look as good as your friends especially with that fx5200(had on myself worst 100 quid ever spent really could have gotten better) maybe they should turn up their settings a bit, most pcs with at least a 6800 or x800 and a good amd 64 can run a game that looks as good as the xbox especially with the fact that 99% dont have HDTVs and most monitors display at beyond HD anyway. The xbox now can put up a fight against a fx5200 system.

AMD 2400

AMD 2400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok so i was looking at the prices of pc2100 ram and its the same price as pc3200. If i got pc3200 would it work in my computer? I know my mobo doesnt support it but would it just read it as pc2100 or would i run into some issues with it.
Only reason im asking is that i could just take out the pc3200 and swap it over when i get a new computer so that way i wouldnt have to spend more on ram.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It often will work yes but obviously we cant guarantee that it would work but it should work.