Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow reboot with XP

• Please log in to reply

fliboi

fliboi

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Used XP msconfig to disable all items on startup and now my reboot takes alot longer to shut down. But, startup is a whole lot quicker. What is the reason for slow shutdown

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
often, a hanging service or a program keeping an open handle on the registry.

Try downloading User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
try disabling/removing all the external devices connected to your system and try restarting the system. See how it works ?
Also XP runs lot of services which you might not need. Stop some of the services and make it manual instead of automatic.

Try disabling some of the services. If you're on a network then a lot of the services I disabled you will still need. But here is a list of what I've disabled on my home pc:

Application Layer Gateway Service
Clipbook
Computer Browser
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Fast User Switching Capability
Human Interface Device Access
IMAPI CD-Burning COM service
Indexing Service
Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
IPSEC Services
Messenger
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
Net Login
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Network Location Awareness
NT LM Security Support Provider
QoS RSVP
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Registry Service
Routing and Remote Access
Secondary Logon
Server
Smart Card
Smart Card Helper
SSDP Discovery Service
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service
Telnet
Terminal Service
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Universal Plug & Play Device Host
Upload Manager
WebClient
Windows Image Acquisition
Wireless Zero Configuration
WMI Performance Adapter

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I dunno about disabling all of those...some actually have some value and unless you suspect they are a cause of the slowdown, I would hold off unless you know you specifically do not need it.

Computer browser, for example, could be enabled if you have a home network. Fast User Switching Capability some people like, and if you have a scanner, you may want the Human Interface Device Access service running. And some people might get ticked off if they cannot drag and drop to CDs, so IMAPI CD-Burning COM service should be on.

I'm not saying you're wrong in any of these...just that users need to be careful in that what works for you may not work for them

fliboi

fliboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm not to good at knowing what systems or programs I will need yet. I also do not have any external devices hooked to my laptop so I tried the microsoft download and it worked.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad to hear it

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
hi gerry
I agree with you completely .. I should have explained what each service does.
Anyway this link will let you know what each service does and you may disable it if you want.

http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm

I dunno about disabling all of those...some actually have some value and unless you suspect they are a cause of the slowdown, I would hold off unless you know you specifically do not need it.

Computer browser, for example, could be enabled if you have a home network. Fast User Switching Capability some people like, and if you have a scanner, you may want the Human Interface Device Access service running. And some people might get ticked off if they cannot drag and drop to CDs, so IMAPI CD-Burning COM service should be on.

I'm not saying you're wrong in any of these...just that users need to be careful in that what works for you may not work for them