Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware qustions on xp

• Please log in to reply

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok a littel comp ilteret. so can jrm20 were thoses instructions thro a gui or a cli

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Got this from microsoft.com

1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

its easy.

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ok got that...I think...Any way can you install it through a gui though is that possible?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what?....explain what you mean by "install it through a GUI"

i just want to know what you're talking about

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have on one computer the one we have been talking about i have windows 98se from the os screen when it boots up into the windows 98 user interface. Can i install windows xp pro from that or do i have to completlly format my hdd with the windows 98se os on it to install xp?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have an upgrade disk...or the full xp disk?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...ng/default.mspx

give that a read first

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...stallquick.mspx

then that

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Full install

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
You need to read the links provided.

Also be aware that if you install XP (full install) without formatting your hard disk you could have both operating systems on your computer. Then you will get a screen that pops up during boot that asks you which OS you want to use. That can cause some hokey problems if you're not familiar with running dual operating systems. You should backup whatever data you want to save, then do a full install as instructed from the CD during a bootup (not from the Windows 98 gui), partition and format your hard disk during the install process and install Windows XP.

By the way, how did you end up with an overclocked system? Did you buy it that way? Overclocking can be tricky stuff and I'm surprised you would have these questions with that experience. Not bein a smarta$$, just wondering. Good luck.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi FGM

Just to clarify, you CAN start the XP installation from inside Windows 98. However, a short way into the process, it will reboot the system & perform the next stage in a DOS based environment (the same as it would if you booted straight from the XP CD to start with).

As the guys have already mentioned, you need to be clear on whether you are intending to upgrade from 98 to XP, wipe the 98 drive completely & install XP from scratch or run both OS's (i.e dual boot).

If you are planning to upgrade from 98 to XP (without wiping any drives), I suggest you start the XP install from inside win98.

If you intend to wipe the C drive completely & install XP from scratch, you should boot straight from the XP CD & let XP format the C drive.
You will of course lose everything you currently have on that drive.

If you plan to run both OS's, you need to have either an second partition, unpartitioned space on the drive or second hard drive. In other words, win98 will currently be on your C: drive/partition. XP would have to be installed to a different partition on that drive, or to a seperate drive, they can't both be on the C: partition together.

If you are going to run both OS's, it makes little difference whether you start the install from inside the win98 GUI or whether you boot from the CD. If you do start the install from the GUI, just make sure that you tell XP that you wish to do a New Installation, not an upgrade. If you boot from the CD instead, make sure that you tell XP to install to a partition other than the Windows 98 partition.

FGM

FGM

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
alright thanks for a ll the help guys. No i did a lot of studying up on over clocking and stuff like that. I am computer illetrite in most other areas. If it makes my computer run faster cheaper. heck i will do it.

and once agin thanks

FGM

Hey harry potter comes out today...ohh man i hate it when i talk to my self..l o l

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
lol :tazz: