Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scroll bar

• Please log in to reply

bennydog

bennydog

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I heard you can change the scroll bar, anyone know how?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which scroll bar?

bennydog

bennydog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Located on the right side of this web page.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
?....the scroll bar in internet explorer? what are you wanting to change it to?

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Maby change the color of it?

bennydog

bennydog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
i heard you can change the colour of it and the arrow in the scroll bar, sorry i was not persific.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
On wanadoo.co.uk, my scrollbar changes style and color from its defult style and color?

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hmm.. let me see how to do that... I know there's a way, coz I've done it before :)

Ah, I remember now...

<style type="text/css">

body {
background-color: cyan;
	scrollbar-face-color:white;
	scrollbar-highlight-color:white;
	scrollbar-3dlight-color:white;
	scrollbar-darkshadow-color:white;
	scrollbar-shadow-color:white;
	scrollbar-arrow-color:cyan;
	scrollbar-track-color:white;}
</style>

Change background color to colors like White, Black, Red, Blue, Green, or use the hexadecimal codes for it (#FFFFCC, and such)
And do the same for every other place.. also.. if you wanted to make your mouse look different when they move their mouse over a link or anywhere else, you'd have to upload the mouse (I forgot the extension it uses), or use windows' preset.. and then add this to the end of the above code before </style>:

body, div, td, p { font-family: verdana; font-size: 8; text-transform: uppercase; color: black; cursor: help }

This tells your page to change you mouse to the help mouse icon (the question mark) and also to set the font and font size.. words' color, and such...

You can also set a different mouse for moving over a link or moving over a link you've already visited... by using this code:

a:link{color: cyan; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; CURSOR: default}

a:visited{color: cyan; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; CURSOR: default}

a:hover { border: 1px SOLID cyan; color: black; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; cursor: default;}

a:link tells it what to do with all the links on your page.. and a:visited does the same for all the links you've already visited...
CURSOR: default tells it to use the cursor that the user actively has set..
a:hover refers to when you hold your mouse over a link... so.. just optimize everything using that code..

I don't know the default mouses that windows comes with, so if someone could research that for me, I would be very happy and thankful, as lots of other people will most likely be..

And just so It's easy for you, here's the code in full with everything:

<style type="text/css">

body {
background-color: cyan;
	scrollbar-face-color:white;
	scrollbar-highlight-color:white;
	scrollbar-3dlight-color:white;
	scrollbar-darkshadow-color:white;
	scrollbar-shadow-color:white;
	scrollbar-arrow-color:cyan;
	scrollbar-track-color:white;}

body, div, td, p { font-family: verdana; font-size: 8; text-transform: uppercase; color: black; cursor: help }

a:link{color: cyan; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; CURSOR: default}

a:visited{color: cyan; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; CURSOR: default}

a:hover { border: 1px SOLID cyan; color: black; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; cursor: default;}
</style>

I hope this helped~! :tazz:

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that you have to put this code between the <head> tags that every page has... lol...

Edited by Paradox924X, 18 November 2005 - 04:22 PM.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
So you can totally change the color etc... ???

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Yup, just see my above post...
Also, I think you use Firefox?

That won't show up on firefox.. so decide accordingly.. what type of users will be visiting your website more? IE users or FireFox users...

if its mostly IE users, go ahead and use this code.. and if it's firefox.. maybe you could find a different code that does work with firefox...

@Anyone else that uses browsers besides IE or Firefox, could you maybe spotcheck if this code works in that browser in their freetime, so users of this code can get some TroubleShooting... :tazz:

Please and thank you~!

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
The above code (for the scrollbars) is not proper CSS coding. It can be used, and it works, but keep in mind that your CSS will not validate. The other way of doing this would be with javascript.

document.body.style.scrollbarFaceColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarArrowColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarTrackColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarShadowColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarHighlightColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbar3dlightColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarDarkshadowColor="colorname"

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Yes, although i advertise firefox, i still use ie most of the time.

Is opera good?

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
@lil cat lover:
OK, thanks for the update, but do you put your code in the style.CSS file, or on the page you want it on, and if so, where on the page? Between the <head> tags?
Mine you put on the page that you want edited and not the style.CSS because that way, each page can have a different layout if the user wants it to.

EDIT: @Allsortshop: Opera is nothing compared to FireFox, but you can try it if you're curious...

P.S. @lil cat lover, many users don't know how to use a CSS file, so they'd probably mess up their wesbites, so if your code has to be placed in the style.CSS file, it'd be better for those users that are new to use my code until they've learned to funtion with a style.CSS file... but if they know how to use a CSS document, then why not, eh? :tazz:

Edited by Paradox924X, 19 November 2005 - 08:46 AM.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

OK, thanks for the update, but do you put your code in the style.CSS file, or on the page you want it on, and if so, where on the page? Between the <head> tags?

I think you could either save it as scrollbar.js and use <script src="scrollbar.js" type="text/javascript"></script>, or you could just put it directly on the html page with

<script type="text/javascript">
document.body.style.scrollbarFaceColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarArrowColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarTrackColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarShadowColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarHighlightColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbar3dlightColor="colorname"
document.body.style.scrollbarDarkshadowColor="colorname"
</script>

I'm not sure if everything is right though, if I'm wrong, you could always google javascript scrollbar and I'm sure something would come up :)

@lil cat lover, many users don't know how to use a CSS file

You know what, if someone do not have even the basic knowledge of CSS, they wouldn't really care if their CSS validates or not :tazz:

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Exactly :tazz:
They should just use my script if they're newbies to this kindof stuff.. lol