Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP boot problem

• Please log in to reply

ters 135 black box

ters 135 black box

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop. I was attempting to burn a CD with the Sonic program, the CD drive became non responsive and I had to use the paper clip trick to open the drawer, I attemped to reboot the computer after that to sync it all back together and got the blue screen. It will show the Windows XP thinking scrolling bar, then it will blink and go black. I have gone in under the safe mode and attempted to restore back 2 days to see if that would solve the problem, it didn't. I can use the CD drive in the safe mode for viewing other CD's and its functioning fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ters 135 black box, 18 November 2005 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Let's try the easy way first. ...from safe mode

start > run
cmd
enter

chkdsk /r

reboot.

If that does not work, do it a second time....I don't know why, but running this twice sometimes works. I have had extraoridinary luck in recent weeks with running chkdsk twice. I say extraordinary because I don't believe it should make any difference running it twice, but on three machines I have seen runnning it twice did the trick. I am still searching for why.

What it sounds like is occuring is your system is not properly moving from realmode to 32-bit mode. The chkdsk may repair the file system, and possibly correct this problem in some cases

If still no go, write back....the damage to the important file is more severe and a system repair .