Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New monitor blurry

• Please log in to reply

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Just purchased a new 19" LCD monitor and it is a "litttle" blurry expecially black on white typewritten words. I ahve tried to adjust the resolution, with no success. ANy suggestions please?
Thx

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
LCDs come with default resolutions...they are designed for just that resolution,

Enlarging or shrinking that resolution will result in slight blurriness as you describe. What is your monitor's default resolution? Did you set it to that?

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the box indicates 1280 x 10234, but I cannot even see things at that resolution they are so small.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sure you mean 1280 X 1024 which is a common resoluton for a 19 inch monitor.

There is not much I can suggest, otherwise, but perhaps I can explain it better.

An LCD default resolution is predicated on the number of pixels per inch, so imagine a field of pixels and you light up a pixel to make a letter. In that default resolution, the monitor will be crisp because the letter will be made up of exactly the correct pixels to render it, but out of that resolution, the monitor circuitry has to make best guesses to approximate those letters, using more or less pixels, which results in a degree of fuzziness.

You could increase the size of letters, increase magnification of the VIEW window in programs, etc.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you updated your graphics card drivers? did the monitor come with a cd of any kind?

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Would "clear type" help me at all ?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Clear Type is always recommended for LCD monitors, but to actually make the type "clearer", you need to run at the default resolution (1280X1024) as Gerry suggested.

BTW, here's a nice Clear Type tuner: http://www.microsoft...uner/Step1.aspx

Edited by admin, 18 November 2005 - 02:40 PM.

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Seemed to healp a lot with the last message, now just have to get used to the small type on the screen?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
small type in what programs?

Some programs will allow you to adjust font size, also, Windows default sizes can be set in some cases

Right click the desktop, choose PROPERTIES, choose APPEARANCE and adjust hthe FONT SIZE up

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Much much better now with these old eyes, I guess I'll just continue to "tweak" it a little more/Thx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I can sympathize...my laptop monitor default is 1600 by 1200

Glenn McClure

Glenn McClure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the help again/Glenn