Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Disk Error

• Please log in to reply

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, I was on my Window XP hard disk when my other hard disk, with Linux Fedora Core 4, crashed.
What exactly happened: the hard disk with Linux started to make beeping sounds, and then the computer just froze.
When I tried to restart the computer, the computer just froze at start up and my hard disk just kept beeping on. So I removed the hard disk with Fedora core and changed the jumper settings of the hard disk with Windows XP. But when trying to start up on that one, I get a hard disk error message.
I have no idea why I get this message.

I just booted on Linux Knoppix to seek help here, so if anyone can help me I would appeciate it.

I could of course reformat my HD and reinstall XP on it...but I really want to prevent that from happening.

Anymore information needed, just say so

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Crazy J

Could you clarify the following points please :
1. Could you tell me what the configuration was for each of the two drives? (i.e primary master/primary slave/secondary master/slave)
2. When you said you received a hard disk error message, am I correct in thinking that you only had the one drive (Windows drive) installed at that time?
3. What was the error message & at what stage in the boot process does it appear?

Could you also tell us what motherboard you have and a bit more info on the drives? i.e make, size, configuration etc.

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
1. Both were on cable select
2. yes, the hard disk with windows was the only one that was installed.
I don't think my other one even works anymore :tazz:
3. GRUB hard disk error.
It appears when the computer wants to boot the hard disk.

I had a log made with everest but I can't find it. I think it's in the recycle bin still, but I have no idea how to access the recycle bin from Knoppix. I will keep trying and check back here from time to time.

Thanks for the reply.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You said both drives were set to CS, but was the windows drive detected as the master drive (i.e was it on the end of the IDE cable) when both drives were installed?

Also, what is a GRUB error?

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
yes, the windows HD was the master.

And I have no idea what a GRUB error is, I was hoping you guys would know :tazz:.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It's alright, as I suspected, the GRUB error is a linux error. GRUB is the boot manager which handles the dual booting of the two operating systems. Although you have removed the linux drive, the boot manager will reside on the windows drive, as this drive was the master drive.

I'm not a linux expert by any means but it sounds like the grub boot manager is looking for the linux drive, but as that drive is missing, it's giving an error message.

I'm going to consult one of our Linux proficient members of staff & see if they can help you!

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hello,
Samm asked me to check into this.

it sounds like the grub boot manager is looking for the linux drive, but as that drive is missing, it's giving an error message.

that is precisely the problem.
Since you have grub installed you have to have both hdd's installed. Grub gets it's info from the linux drive. The file is Menu.list or menu.lst located in /boot/grub or /root/boot/grub not sure how FC4 is set up on the file structure.

Since it appears that your Linux drive had a fatal heart attack, your best bet is to do the following.
go and download the windows 98 boot disk from

http://www.bootdisk.com

stasrt the computer to the command prompt and type the following

fdisk /MBR

then remove the disk after its done and reboot the computer into windows.

From the sounds of it you might have lost everything on the FC4 install.

Let us know how it works for you.

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the reply.

But when I tried the command, there were 4 options.

- create partition
- delete partition
- boot from partition
- change some settings of boot up

sorry for the last one, I forgot the write it down >_>. Anyways, the last one seemed like the most obvious to choose, but when I did it gave me a error that it couldn't save ...something with the MBR >_>. (wow im good at describing stuff).

So I tried the third one, but that didn't really help.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
ok, lets try another route.

do you have a windows xp install/upgrade disk?

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

ok, lets try another route.

do you have a windows xp install/upgrade disk?

Yes, I do

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
great :tazz:

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

If repairing a host with multiple operating systems, select the appropriate one (XP) from the menu. If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.

Enter the administrator password if prompted. The administrator password would the same one you set up on installation. if you didn't have to put an administrator password in it should bypass this step.

To fix the MBR, use the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.

Type y and ENTER to fix the MBR.

Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot.

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
:tazz: :) :) :woot: :woot: :woot: :P :P :P

Thanks alot, Samm and Efwis.

It worked !! ^_^

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff