Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shuts down....

• Please log in to reply

grummie2

grummie2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Guys..
I have an e-machine..running Windows XP Home (also have office). I have up to date Norton AntiVirus (with Live update ON), also Window Washer and Ad-Aware Se.
The problem is that the PC just turns off 3/4 of the way through a Virus scan (it gets to Driver cache \i386 then turns off). It turns off after using web cam for 5 mins. It turns off when running Ad-Aware and turns off really quick when running Spybot (just downloaded from this site). The hard drive seems to pick up speed and have higher pitch before the system freezes and shuts down. There are no error messages (I can find) to point me in the right direction. Some of the virus/trojan software downloaded from here has found a few things which were eliminated, but the problem still exists. The PC is fine if I don't run the above software...what could be wrong? (If you need more info just tell me).
It's my first post, I don't really know much about PCs, I just press the buttons, so try to be 'simple' with your suggestions :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi grummie2! Welcome to G2G!

What I suggest you do is try to run the scan in SAFE MODE.

To Enter Safe Mode, reboot/turn on your computer and tap the F8 key once every second until you see the screen that gives you the option of booting into Safe Mode.

Post back if you are still having the reboot problem or if you are able to get through a complete scan without it rebooting on you.

Fenor

grummie2

grummie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the welcome Fenor!
Ok, gave that a try, but the machine still switched off (like pulling the plug) half way through the scan again. The scan in safe mode seemed much slower, but the result was the same.. :tazz: . The machine does not try to reboot, it just turns off. Is there a chance I have software conflict due to installing a Logitech web cam recently? I did try uninstalling it, (the result was the same), but could there be some hidden problem?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you just have Norton Antivirus, or did it come packaged in Norton Internet Securities?

Fenor

grummie2

grummie2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have the Internet securities package (personal protection, firewall, antivirus). After setting AdAware SE personal to the settings recommended on here, it did a full sweep with no shutdowns. However, AdAware 5 (r 5.83) shuts off the computer half way through scan. I ran Spybot again and removed 2 items (before scan was complete), I then did scan again......but PC shut down when scan got to 'tango dialler', this may just be coincidence rather than cause of fault.
All updates (windows, Norton (Symantec)) are as upto date as possible.

Cheers