Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition

• Please log in to reply

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
When putting XP on my computer I deleted my partitions and made two new ones that were equally the same size. I now know that the partition is the local disk on which your files are stored. And after all the updates and putting other software on the computer I was told I didnt have enough space to put Service Pack 2 on the computer. So what Im trying to do is reinstall XP and just have one partition that all the files will go on. And when I restart the computer there is an error message saying that it cannot boot from the CD so what am I to do now?

Edited by K. Prophett, 19 November 2005 - 06:25 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
cannot but from the CD?

Cannot boot ?

Not following you there.

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yea i meant boot, sorry about that.

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok I finially got the computer to boot from the disk but it was just luck I guess. But now I'm having another problem... I deleted both partitions so I could start off with a new slate. On the laptop I have, I have a total of 4888 MB to use. So I put 3883 on one partition and 1004 on the other partition. But when I try to install Windows XP on the bigger partition it tells me that it could not format the disk because of it being damaged and I dont understand how this could be when I just had the disk formated within a day ago. Are there any suggestions from any of the staff memebers or moderators?