Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

character problem

• Please log in to reply

jonnyb

jonnyb

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello,
How do I fix this? :tazz:
With caps on I type an L and its upside down and reversed (like I spun it around 180).

Compaq s4200nx
Windows XP sp2

Thanks,
Jonnyb

Advertisements

jonnyb

jonnyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
:tazz: doesn't anybody want to help me?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry that this has been overlooked, does the keyboard have any software you can re-install or update, did you install anything when it started doing this

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I think I have seen that before on my computer, I remember thinking it looked kind of odd. Can't remember which font I was using or which program I was typing in. What font were you using? Did this just start happening recently?

Fay

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I just went back and did some looking and found where I saw it on my computer. For me it was not a capital L but a lower case l. I have an .html file. If I open it in NOTEPAD2.EXE - the lower case l looks like a backwards upside down capital L. But if I open it in NOTEPAD.EXE it show up as it should. I don't know what font NOTEPAD2 is using. I will do some more looking.

Fay

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I found out where I am seening the strange looking L (lower case) - upside down and rotated. It is when using the Lucinda Console font. I don't know if there are other fonts that might do it. If it is happening to you when using a different font, if you will post here which font you are using, I will give it a try and see if it happens to me on that font also.

Fay

jonnyb

jonnyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thanks for getting back :tazz:

no it just happens with the l key

I'm using default window fonts and also using a IBM standard keyboard.

Where do I go to change the font in Windows XP?

jonnyb

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I have never tried to change the windows defualt font but I did a ggole search and found some insturction - but not really sure that is what you want to do. I will post the instructions I found at the bottom of this message.

I am curious as to what program you are using when you see this behavior. Are you in notepad, wordpad or where? You might need to change the font in the particular program where you are seeing the strange looking L.

Have you tried going into wordpad - and trying different fonts. Go there and try some different fonts and see what happens. Like I said - the font that I found that caused the same problem for me is Lucinda Console, but there may be others.

I did a google seach for windows default font and found the following instructions for changing it:
right click on desktop
click on properties
click on appearance
click on advanced
in the item box - select message box
and then select the desired font

However, I am not sure this will change it where you want it changed.

Maybe someone else has some other suggestions.

Fay

jonnyb

jonnyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It happens in both wordpad and notepad.

I'll give your ideas a try.

Thanks

Edited by jonnyb, 02 January 2006 - 09:51 AM.

fay47

fay47

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Did you get the problem fixed?

Fay