Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Debian and XP Pro.

• Please log in to reply

MichaelToth

MichaelToth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I've been hving this problem for a while. I work at an Asset Management company, and we run a suite of tests to check the PCs and wipe the drives. We go through a lot of floppies, as some of these machines come from chicken plants, pig farms, etc. They don't have dust bunnies, but dust whales. Anyway. I'm trying to work up a CD-ROM based testing suite, and have all log files dumped into "home" directories on a Debian server. The "users" are in the server, and everything looks good. But, the DOS and Win XP systems won't connect to Debian. I can see the SAMBA server, and when I try to log in, I get a message that I can't. I put in the "namedeleted.here/test001" and the right password, but nothing. :tazz:

I'm using Bart's CD-ROM boot disk, based on the MODBOOT suite. The DOS machines talk to XP, and XP talks to the DOS machines. Just nothing is talking to Debian. This is the final sticking point. I'm using the latest stable release of Debian, and SAMBA is configured via the "smb.conf" file. Once I get past this, then everything will be good. The XP machine is the machine to get the log and report files and print them out. The DOS machines are the machines to be tested. They are named, via the config on the CD, as test001... test144. They're on thier own internal network/subnet. :)

So, my question is, can anyone suggest something that I may have overlooked? Debian has 2 NIC cards, and they're configured correctly. Do I have to make the server into a domain controller? We already have one, running Windows Advanced Server 2003. :woot:

Advertisements