Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

steve_bly

steve_bly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new here... Looks like a good place to learn from some friendly people.

OK, I just got a (new-to-me) CTX EzBook 750CS and it was working fine except for the screen randomly flickering once in a while (which according to CTX is easy to fix in the control panel).

I had it turned on for maybe 6 hours when I noticed the edge of the CD tray was binding just a bit against the case so, I popped the tray open and flipped the laptop upside down and began to sand the trays edge.... About a minute later it shut itself off, I then flipped it back over wondering what had just happened and it wouldn't turn on. It does however show the power(cord) icon on the status screen (the little gray LCD) while it's plugged into the outlet. If I unplug it for a few seconds and then plug it back in again it will flash all of the icons once... Also, I can hear a little static sound come from the right speaker (the one nearest to the AC port) when I plug it in.

After it shut itself off last night, I unplugged it from the wall and pressed the power button to ensure there isn't any remaining electricity in it. I let it sit for about 20mins and then tried to turn it on again and it actually worked, for about 10mins. :tazz:

I let it sit removed from it's power supply overnight and when I tried to turn it on again it started to boot up but only got as far as the blue ScanDisk (?) screen and turned off again.

Now that I've said what has happened, I'll tell you what I know it isn't... It's not the outlet because other things work in it just as thy always had, as well as the little power icon on the laptop I said about above, and the fact that it did turn on a couple times. I don't have a rechargeable battery, the laptop was running on AC.
I did as much searching on google as I could, wording my search differently, etc. and I'm pretty much in need of some personal help. I've read about other laptops and how it could be a short, a dead internal battery, a dead AC adapter, the motherboard, etc.... I just got the laptop yesterday and I can't believe I did this to it, I'm really depressed right now because of this and it's pretty much an accumulation of everything going on right now in my life and I really could have done with this - it just seems like everything I touch turns to crap. life feels hopeless.

Any help is really, really appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements