Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear not working

• Please log in to reply

jasmyna

jasmyna

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I am having the same problem with my netgear router and can not figure it out. I have tried to use the setup cd and it gives me the same problem when it tries to restart my network and either says connection not found or it just gives up and gives me a page cannot be displayed error. I've also tried connecting via the 192.168.1.1 but it's like I can't talk to the router from my computer. My request times out when pinging 192.168.1.1 every time. I thought the router might be a defect, but I tried it with a replacement and it does the same thing.

I also tried it on another computer (both with Windows XP SP2) and it did the same thing. When I check my internet connection i've sent something like 168 packets and only recieved 19. When I hook my computer directly to the modem I connect just fine.

I can set up the wireless myself if i could get into the login screen, but I can't figure out how.

If you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello jasmyna and welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correcting your problem.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on the PC's in question, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example... XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapter / Card currently Installed on your problematic PC?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Router you are using?

4) Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration (referred to as WZC)?

5) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

6) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?

jasmyna

jasmyna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi SpaceCowboy!

Please Answer the following questions:

1) I have Windows XP

2) I am trying to set up the wireless router on my home pc so that I can access wireless on my laptop anywhere in my home. I am having a problem with my router not my card. My wireles card on my laptop works fine everywhere else I go, but it is a Linksys WPC11 card ?

3) The make and model of the router is Netger WGT624.

4) Although I am set up correctly when the netgear goes through to reset my network it says no network connection found??

5) Automatic

6) I have taken the troubleshooting steps as poutlined in the netgear manual. Basically restart and reconnect everything..

Thanks for any help you can give I really appreciate it

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Please follow these steps to restore your router to the factory defaults:

1. Ensure that the Modem is connected to the WAN port on the Router. (with Cat5 Ethernet)
2. Ensure that the Pc is connected to either ports 1,2,3,4 on the router. (with Cat5 Ethernet)
3. Turn off your computer.
4. Unplug power from your modem.
5. Locate the tiny button or tiny button hole on your router.
6. Hold in this button for 1 minute [may be less but all routers are different]... you can tell if it is restored by all the lights blinking rapidly for a few seconds when the restore takes effect.
7. After the lights quit going crazy let off the button
8. Unplug power from the router [don't mix up the power cords for the modem and router - one can damage the other]
9. Plug Power back into the Modem and Wait for it to SYNC all the way back up.
10. Plug Power back into the Router and wait for it to SYNC all the way back up.
11. Turn back on the Computer and wait for it to Boot Fully.
12. Click on START
13. Click on RUN
14. Type in CMD or COMMAND depending on your OS
15. Type in.... ipconfig ..... and hit ENTER
16. Copy Down your <Default Gateway> and <IP Address>
17. Type in EXIT and hit ENTER.
18. Open Internet Explorer and in the Address bar Type in the <Default Gateway> from step 16, making sure to remove the < > and hit enter.
19. This should open a Username and Password Box. Enter the appropriate info here and hit enter. (default Username is Admin and default Password is password)
20). If you are now able to get this far then you are connecting to your router. If your still unable to do so after completing these steps then post back [with your default gateway and ip address from step 16 in your reply] and we will investigate further.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 21 November 2005 - 08:11 PM.