Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formating

• Please log in to reply

mickedge

mickedge

• Pip
  • 9 posts
please could any 1 tell me how to format a hard drive using dos, ihave just bought a second hand hard drive and its not formated and i want to use as a slave drive. thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi mickedge!

Do you have this hard drive already hooked up as a slave to your computer, but you currently can't see it in MY COMPUTER?

Fenor

mickedge

mickedge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no becouse i got it this morn and wastold ihad to f/disk it first but i have not have aclue how to do this, thanks :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't need to fdisk it first if you are going to be using it with a Windows XP machine. Attach the hard drive as a slave and turn on your computer. Make sure it is recognized in the BIOS. Once it is, reply to this topic and I'll tell you what to do next.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 20 November 2005 - 07:19 AM.

mickedge

mickedge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: i have connected the hard drive but it is not showing up ??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does it show up in the BIOS of the computer?

Fenor

mickedge

mickedge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
its not showing up in BIOS, and i have not aclue what to do :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You have to change the jumper setting on the hard drive so that it will be recognized as a SLAVE by the computer. Look on the top of the hard drive, it usually tells you how to set the jumper so that it is a MASTER or SLAVE. Of course do all this while your computer is turned off, and if you want to be extra careful, unplug the power cord from the back of the computer while you do it.

If you don't know how to set the jumper, give the make and model # of your new hard drive in your next reply.

Fenor

mickedge

mickedge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thank you for your help i have done as you have said and now the pc has found the hard drive, once again thanks for your help :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear everything is working now! :tazz: If you have any more questions conercerning this problem, like formatting the drive/partitioning it, etc..., don't hesitate to reply to this topic.

Fenor