Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

toshiba shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a toshiba a70 which frequently shuts itself off. I originally thought it was overheating because it has a tendency to get VERY hot. I recently read somewhere that it shuts down due to the processor overloading. It shuts down if it's on for a while (not excessive- maybe 30mins-1hr). It also shuts down if I try to zip a file or burn a cd (immediately or when the process is almost done). This makes me believe that it is due to the processor. I have a friend with the same model and she experiences the same problem. I read somewhere that toshiba put out a patch that slows down the processor which helps with this (although it would slow down the system, anything would be less annoying). I did call up toshiba and they made me remove the battery and hold down the power switch (??) which did absolutely nothing to help.
I've looked at the fans and they work. However, it does get VERY hot. I've gotten a cooling pad type thing for it but it has yet to arrive. It's annoying that I have to go to expenses to solve this problem, which seems is common.
Does anyone know how to fix this/where I can get the patch?

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
it would make sense for the patch to be on toshiba's website. i would suggest you download the freeware program called SpeedFan, http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php this will read the temerature sensors (if you have some) on your motherboard and cpu. if you post the temperatures maybe we could see more clearly where the problem is.

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
would removing the temperature sensors cause it to burst into flames or anything?
and how can I tell what the temperature is?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can't get speedfan to work..boot into bios (usually by pressing f2 or del during the boot sequence)...check in your bios for your system temps and your voltages....for an acurate reading...please try this immediately after one of the random shutdowns

also when in windows try:

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry, I first read that it turned off temperature sensors, not read.

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I dont know how this program works exactly, but when I go to configure it says 35C under temperatures> sample. is this right?