Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network problem

• Please log in to reply

Edmeelia

Edmeelia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I've been trying for a long time now to connect my two computers for a home network, and I can't access one from the other. I ran WinXP Network troubleshooter and it didn't find a solution...
I have on my computer winXP home edition and on my parents' computer I've got WinXP Pro. I have a sympatico internet connection with a TrendNet router. The internet connection on both computers works perfectly fine, but I cannot connect my two computers with eachother! The modem and router are primarly connected to my parent's computer.
I tried to ping my computer from from my parents' computer and it times out and has a 100% loss. My computer cannot even ping itself!!... :tazz: However, when I ping my parents' computer from my computer I have 100% sent and recieved, but when I try to see my network computers I get a message that I have no access to the network and that I should contact the network administrator, or the computer isn't available... However, from my parents' computer I can see my computer in the list, but I cannot open it getting the exact same message.

It seems to me that my computer is not accessible. Please help me...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Both computers need to have the same workgroup name.

Failing that, you probably have a firewall on your computer. Even the XP one will, if configured wrongly, block the filesharing aspects of the system.

Edmeelia

Edmeelia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for answering... Actually I'm trying this networc connection since I bought my new computer, and that makes many months...
Yes I checked tho workgroup names are the same, I turned off the windows firewall, I've turned off the norton internet security on both computers, still my computer doesn't want to connect. I ran a network diagnosis and within the results, I got this:

Network Adapters: [00000001] Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection FAILED

And my computer doesn't ping itself...

Thank you again...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What IP address have you got on the network?

On your computer, go to Start -> Run and type "cmd" (no quotes) and press Enter.

In the black box that comes up, type "ipconfig /all" (no qoutes) and share with us what you get back.