Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite Laptop Won't Boot!

• Please log in to reply

Chaze

Chaze

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Yup,.. I think it's gone. I don't have an Xp cd to try and repair it by pressing "r" the way the error message says. I can't run it in safe mode or anything of the sort.
I dont have a floppy drive to do the boot disk thing Microsoft recommends.
I was able to boot from a Knoppix cd (Linnux, I think ),.. but thats about it.
Any suggestions before I lose everything??

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Chaze!

Take a look at this link and follow along with what it says. You said you don't have the windows XP CD, so download the Recovery Console CD image from HERE and burn it to a CD and boot off of it to get to the recovery console.

If you can't burn the file to a CD, then you are just going to have to wait until you can get/borrow an XP CD from someone so that you can do what is suggested in the first link I posted in this reply.

Good luck!

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 20 November 2005 - 08:35 PM.

Chaze

Chaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Hi Chaze!

Take a look at this link and follow along with what it says. You said you don't have the windows XP CD, so download the Recovery Console CD image from HERE and burn it to a CD and boot off of it to get to the recovery console.

If you can't burn the file to a CD, then you are just going to have to wait until you can get/borrow an XP CD from someone so that you can do what is suggested in the first link I posted in this reply.

Good luck!

Fenor

Ok,... thanks for pointing me to the disk.
But,.. I'm a little stuck in the beginning.

Part one
In part one, you start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.

To complete part one, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

I don't know where to type that md tmp?? :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You type that in after you have logged into your windows installation in the recovery console using either your XP CD or the recovery console CD. Once you are at the c:\WINDOWS prompt.

Fenor

Chaze

Chaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

You type that in after you have logged into your windows installation in the recovery console using either your XP CD or the recovery console CD. Once you are at the c:\WINDOWS prompt.

Fenor

Ok,.. I got that part already. Thanks for your help.

But,.. after I get to the part where I'm suppose to type "delete c:\"
After I type the last part (default)...I get an error message that reads "file cannot be found"
I hope it didnt have anything to do with the power going out on my laptop... :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you do what it says about creating the .txt file by copying and pasting the code into notepad and saving it as regcopy1.txt and putting it on a floppy disk and typing batch regcopy1.txt when you are in the Recovery Console.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I was at work earlier and we got busy and the had an hour drive home. Normally I'm much faster in replying. :tazz:

Fenor

Chaze

Chaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I suggest you do what it says about creating the .txt file by copying and pasting the code into notepad and saving it as regcopy1.txt and putting it on a floppy disk and typing batch regcopy1.txt when you are in the Recovery Console.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I was at work earlier and we got busy and the had an hour drive home. Normally I'm much faster in replying. :)

Fenor

I have no floppy drive on my laptop. :tazz:
Any other suggestions??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just type the text carefully and double check it before you hit ENTER. Not much else I can tell ya to do.

Fenor

Chaze

Chaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Just type the text carefully and double check it before you hit ENTER. Not much else I can tell ya to do.

Fenor

Thanks,.. I'll give it a try and post any error messages I receive...

Chaze

Chaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
:) :tazz:

Thanks,.. I'll give it a try and post any error messages I receive...

Now when I type the first line,.. I get "the system cannot find the file specified".

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What was the first line you typed?

Fenor

Chaze

Chaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

What was the first line you typed?

Fenor

first, I type md tmp, then hit enter,....it says the path'/file aready exists.
then I type the first line of part 1,..then it says cannot find file specified.. the same thing for line two.
I'm totally lost. :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry Chaze, but I was really busy during the holiday weekend and haven't been able to be on here as much as I would of liked. Have you tried creating the txt file and running the batch command on it in the Recovery Console? Copy & Paste the text to notepade, don't do it by hand, so you are sure there are no typos.

Fenor

Chaze

Chaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Sorry Chaze, but I was really busy during the holiday weekend and haven't been able to be on here as much as I would of liked. Have you tried creating the txt file and running the batch command on it in the Recovery Console? Copy & Paste the text to notepade, don't do it by hand, so you are sure there are no typos.

Fenor

Thanks,..but I just purchased a 5 gig usb drive and transferred all the data.
Then I had to reformat.
Wasn't too hard.
Thanks for your time. :tazz: