Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're gonna have to assign that dlink a static ip for it to connect ot that page....to do this...right click on the dlink in your network connections area...then do properties...then in that window find tcp/ip...highlight that and press properties....pick the box for "assign static ip" or something like that...and for the ip put 192.168.254.3 and for the subnetmask put 255.255.255.0 and for the default gateway put 192.168.254.254

then press ok or apply...then ok again...then try to put 192.168.254.254 in your browser again....try it with and without the http://

(all of these ips are based on the assumption that 192.168.254.254 is indeed the inside interface of your modem)

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Shouldn't we turn DHCP on so we can access the modem.... as it is currently turned off?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can't turn dhcp on on the modem...without connecting to it

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im talking about through Start - > Run -> Services.msc....Scroll down to DHCP Client, then make sure it is set to Automatic and Start Service.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...i hadn't seen that....that would make sense as well..

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I put in the ip address and that made the local area connection connect! :tazz: When I get on the internet, the PPP still has to connect. It prompts me to connect, and if I don't I can't get on the internet. I also checked the dhcp in the services, and everything was set like you said. IE still couldn't display the page with that address.

Kristi

Edited by kris74745, 07 December 2005 - 02:13 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so just to check..you put in the static ip and the "cable unplugged" went away? but you still were unable to display any webpages?

or it wouldn't display the router's config page?

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
VIA is the one with the "cable unplugged" notification. I have it disabled. The local area connection showed limited connectivity. I put in the ip address for it, and it connected. But everytime I try to open my browser, the SBC Yahoo DSL connection (PPP) prompts me to connect. If I disconnect it and try to open the browser again, the browser cannot find server, and it asks me to connect with DSL again. Do I need to put an address in for the DNS server when I do the properties for ip/tcp in the local area connection? I noticed it was blank. I can still get internet pages by connecting with DSL connection. The router address is what wouldn't pull up.
Sorry if I am confusing, but I am a bit confused myself. :tazz:

Thanks,

Kristi

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's ok if you're confusing...troubleshooting this stuff in a non-real-time environment is hard...but you gave me the info i was looking for...

so...recap

you put a static ip address in on the dlink nic wich made the limited or no connectivity go away (which as expected..as that error is usually due to not having an ip or having an incorrect one)...the dlink is how you connect your computer to the sbc adsl modem....when you click on internet explorer...it opens and asks you to sign in to the adsl modem connection (does this have an option to save the password?)...and you can get to the internet and view all webpages once you supply the password and what not....but if you disconnect that connection (by disconnect do you mean close I.E. or actually close the connection?) it will ask you for the password again when you try to open up I.E.....

you do need a dns server in those places...but...it woudln;t cause the current issue to not have a dns address...plus i dont know what your dns server should be set to at the moment.

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Right now, the network connections show I have 2 connections connected. These are the Dlink local area connection and the WAN miniport PPP SBC Yahoo DSL connection. I cannot get on the internet without the SBC connection. If I disconnect the SBC connection by right clicking on the icon and choosing disconnect, the pages on the internet show cannot find server. If I recnnect through SBC, I can get on the internet.

Thanks,

Kristi

Advertisements

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Hello,

I just wanted to know if anyone found the DNS server setting I need to put in.

Thanks,

Kristi

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hey kris, sorry for not getting back to you...me and spacecowboy are trying to sort some stuff out for you.....there's something not right about your connection...and we're trying to pinpoint it....like i said...sorry for not getting back to you...

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
It's okay! I just wanted to check. I appreciate the help!

Kristi :tazz:

kris74745

kris74745

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I just had something weird happen. I started up the computer earlier today, and it prompted me for a dial-up connection. It hasn't ever done that before. I cancelled out of it, and connected with the sbc connection. Then, about 5 minutes ago, my computer restarted itself. I was sitting in the living room and we heard it log off and we watched it restart. It normally doesn't do that, but I guess I am used to about anything right now. I have been sure to keep ewido updated and I use the other malware programs from your site. I show to be okay. Let me know what you think. :tazz:

Thanks,

Kristi

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your restart...list them here.