Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep losing internet...

• Please log in to reply

jra677

jra677

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi. I have a problem with my internet (cable). If I leave my computer on for a while, say 30 minutes, I will lose my access to the internet. Everything on the modem still shows I have a connection, but when I try to lauch a game or explorer it can not access the internet. I always have to restart the computer. I have AVG anti-virus and Zonealarm Basic. And no the feature of zonealarm to block access to the internet when screensaver is started is not on. The last time I lost access I checked to see if the network card was working right, and it showed it was operating normally. I have run anti-virus (both AVG and Norton's online scanning), SpyBot, and AdWare. No viruses or spyware. I have run scandisk, and that did not help. Anybody got a clue as to whats happening?

P.S.= If I am ingame or browsing I will not lose access, only when it sits for a while.

Advertisements

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
There's another ZoneAlarm feature that Engages Automatic Internet Lock after X mintures of inactivity... where X is a user-defined time...
Double click on ZoneAlarm in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and tab over to Program Control on the Left...
Turn Automatic Internet Lock to OFF mode or Press Custom> Change your Custom Lock Settings to fit to your needs accordingly...

And while this happens, just make sure your ZoneAlarm is unlocked, like look in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and see if there's a gold lock icon there...
If there is, then it's definetly your Automatic Lock Feature...

Make sure if you do turn the option off, press OK, and then reboot your computer for safe measure..

Reply the results..

jra677

jra677

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That feature is off and I still lose access. :tazz: Any other ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It may be your internet provider.

Some providers disconnect you if you're idle on the network after so long. Your modem won't show you're disconnected like it does with dial-up, because all the modem's job is to hold sync with the exchange and then its up to Windows to actually dial in and make the connection.