Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd reader and burner malfunction

• Please log in to reply

Maelspike

Maelspike

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I recently installed a music format converter on my computer, but during the installation a few files were deleted from the computer. As a result, my burning software won't work anymore (can't find ASPI drivers) and when I try to play a cd with Windows media Player, it tells me there's been an error while reading the cd-rom station in digital mode, and to press OK to switch to analog mode (though pressing ok doesn't help sh*t). I found out that the (or one of the) missing file(s) was winaspi.dll, so I redownloaded it and extracted it to the windows/system folder. However, it doesn't seem to have helped. Can anybody help me?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a question....what music formatter did you get? and....why did it delete files? there should be no reason for an installer to delete anything other than it's own files after installation..

Maelspike

Maelspike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I installed several different ones... During the installation of one of them (might well have been the first right away) I got a warning that certain files would be replaced by older ones, which didn't make any sense to me. I jsut supposed it was some kind of muck up - I get the impression that error messages are not always to be taken completely seriously.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any time a program suggests that it will be replacing a file...(especially if it says it's replacing that file with an older version) you should stop and evalluate the process...it's generally never a good idea to replace a file with an older version.

Maelspike

Maelspike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've learnt that now, but so many of the warinings this computer gives me are nothing more than just a load of hot air that I don't always take them seriously anymore, especially if they don't make sense.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the one's that don't make sense.....are the most important ones...those are the one's that you have to check out before pressing ok...windows 98 does have a limited restore feature (i am sorry but i'm not 100% familiar with 98 so bear with me)..let me try to find some instructions for using it..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Maelspike...

dsenette has asked me to poke my nose in here and see what we can do with this...

There is a limited restore feature in Win98 we can use to roll back the registry, but it looks like we may have to replace a few of the original files as well.

Click Start then Run and type scanreg /restore (Note the space before the /) and press "Ok"...You will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (go down two to be safe) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter". Reboot.

Let us know if this helps your situation...

wannabe1

Maelspike

Maelspike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nope, 'fraid it's made no difference... Should I try an earlier snapshot?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maelspike please download this file to your dekstop. right click it and choose Rename...change the extension from bkk to DLL and click elsewhere on the desktop to set the change. Then right click the file and Copy...Paste it in the C:Windows\System folder overwriting the old file.

if this doesn't fix it we will try to get more of the deleted files back onto your system. through a similar process

(thanks wannabe1)

Maelspike

Maelspike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've done that already, did it again now but it still isn't helping... Every time I do it again, by the way, the file's not there anymore.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open the System folder...on the toolbar at the top, click "View" and then "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, in the "Advanced Settings" box, tick the button next to "Show All Files" Click "Apply" then "Ok". Now look for the file...is it there?

wannabe1

Maelspike

Maelspike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah, it is now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think you are missing a few more dll files, but I'm not sure how many or which ones...there's gobs of them in the System folder... :tazz:

Take a look at This Procedure. It should leave your data intact, but I would back up the important stuff anyway. This will replace all of the system files without having to hunt and peck for the missing ones.

Let me know if this is something you'd like to try...

wannabe1

Lori32

Lori32

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had this same exact problem. I ended up formatting.