Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wannabe1 hope you get this

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

no wonder you and wannabe1 get along so well...you're both in the same old folks home

Better watch it, sonny...you may get run down by a couple seniors with high performance walkers!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe...

ok...so from the online manual for your board...there is no mechanical method of reseting the bios except for taking the battery out....there are no CMOS jumpers at all on that thing....honestly...just...stupid...very poor design.....

we're at a stage in this proccess...where...i would be willing to say that the board has crapped out....but before we concede defeat...let's check some things so that i'm sure we're where we need to be

1st.. you have tested the graphix card in a different machine and it is proven to work.

2nd..you tried to boot with no ram and you got n o beeps whatsoever...

3rd..verified that the motherboard speaker is attatched..

4th.. removed the CMOS battery...effectivly resetting the bios....

....i would be willing to say that after those tests it seems like the board is dead....but...as i'm typing this...we forgot to test another important part.....would it be possible to hook another PSU (power supply unit) up to this machine?...that's the last piece of critical hardware that i can see that would affect this situation

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ya watch over your shoulder, Wannabe1 and I will be cruising your neibourhood in souped up walkers, we use the Tim Allen school of power walkers. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's not forget a "toasted" processor...has this machine ever exhibited a random "crashing" when it was running. If turned off for a while it would run ok, but would then crash and continue to crash until left off for a while again?

wannabe1

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes to all questions, the only thing that I don't have is a spare power supply, I could probably drop down to the local used comp store and pick one up though, that is probably the cheapest route for now and then I would have a spare, is there anything that I should be looking for in one, the one in the machine is 300W.

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no, crashing has never been an issue, it has always been a reliable old machine, just keeps truckin, kinda like me.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try the power supply then...look for one with at least 400 watts in case you end up replacing the motherboard...that will provide you with the power to run the newer mobo's and processors.

wannabe1

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, thanks, I am off to spend money, wish I had some, talk to you guys later.

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm back, found an inexpensive Power supply tester, spoke to the tech in the shop that I bought it from and he uses it to check in his shop, well I'm unhappy to report that it is not the power supply and that there is good power to the H/D, yes you can check that too with this tester, and even the Floppy. So it looks like it might just be the M/B after all. Can you think of anything else before I lay out the cash for a new M/B,

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
  • Make sure the Mobo is compatable with your processor.
  • Make sure it is compatable with your RAM.
  • If you go to the computer store, have him check the processor if possible.
Take a look at the motherboard...right next to the processor there should be a row of capacitors (kinda look like a row of tin cans)...do any of them look like they are bulging at the end, show discoloration, or look like they've been leaking nuclear waste?

wannabe1

Advertisements

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The processor and the ram are the origonal that I installed a few years ago when I built the system and I wish that I could say yes to leakage or the like but other than a few dust bunnies everything looks normal.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you going to get the same Mobo...if not, make sure of the compatabilities I mentioned. If they can check the processor...have them do that. A bad processor can give the same symptoms... :tazz:

wannabe1

spotmaster

spotmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Probably the same Mfg. have had no problems up till now and I will see if I can get the processor checked out before I buy a new board.