Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting "Links" to "URLs"

• Please log in to reply

jadag

jadag

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All, :)

Here is my problem. :tazz: I have a long list of hyperlinks in a text document.

These are links to home pages of freeware programs I have on my PC. From time to time I want to go to these sites to see what's new.

How can I copy these links and paste them into a folder in c:\windows\favorites without having to first open the site in a browser and then dragging the link to c:\windows\favorites in Explorer?

The links in the text file are in www.name_of_site.com format and the need to be in a name_of_site.url format.

Copy and paste doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the easiest way would be to just go to the site and then add it as a favorite...even if there was another way to do it...it wouldnt save any real time..

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I don't know of a way to do what you want but I do know of a fairly easy alternative. Paste the links into the source page of an empty HTML page and use the replace function of Notepad to parse the links. You will need to type in names for the links, which will be quite tedious. Then move the HTML page to your desktop.

jadag

jadag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. :tazz:

So far, the easiest way I have found is as follows:

1. Create a folder in Favorites called "Freeware"
2. Open c:\windows\favorites\freeware in my browser.
3. Right-click and select New/Shortcut
4. In the New Shortcut dialog paste the wanted link in the "Command Line" box
5. Press "Next" and give the shortcut a name (e.g. Mail Washer)
6. Press "Finish"

... and voila! You have a url to the home page of the freeware program. :)

(Once I have completed the exercise for all my current freeware programs on hand, I can simply add new items through the regular "Add To Favorites" method.

FYI ... I actually have sub-folders within the Favorites/Freeware folder for each category eg:

Desktop Apps
Databases
Games
Graphics
Internet
etc.

... which allows me to find any homepage of the 50+ freeware programs I have.

However, I would still like to find an easier way ... this method takes too long :)

Thanks