Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor and video card

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
is it better to have a celeron processer with a 256mb ati radeon x700pro agp graphics card or
a athlon 64 3200+ with a cheap video card. havn't decided that yet. but i would like to play games. espescially HL2 and CS source

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
the first option would be better, even though i dont like intel processors, your most important piece of hardware when gaming is the video card. but if you can wait a while and save up, i would go for both the better processor, along with a decent video card. but agian, the video card is most important.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
well best buy has a black friday sale with a $149 pc with the celeron so i was just wondering if i had that celeron and about 760mb ram plus the x700pro would that be able to run HL2 and CS source even though the processor sucks. basically does a good video card and lots of ram make up for a bad processor when it comes to gaming

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yes, it does, the processor doesnt really do much in gaming. it does all the calculations, and it "executes the program itself", but the actuall drawing of what you see on the screen is done by the video card and when you get low framerates on games, its because the video card cant draw enough frames per second to be smooth. just be sure the pc you buy has a agp or pcie slot to add a new video card, because it may just have a regular pci slots only. a friend of mine runs counter-strike source on a gefore4 mx440 and he says the gameplay is smooth, but you should really get a performace video card like the x700 you said to run it with nice quality and run future games with nice quality. just be sure it has an agp slot before you buy that 149 dollar pc.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The processor is quite important for gaming its not just the gfx card that runs visual processes the cpu has to tell it what to do and make sure it gets the correct data. And the celerons lack alot of the multimedia features that most processors have for games (celerons are for business use no games just WP and spreadsheets). I would get the 3200+ or a 3000+ and the x700 is a cheap video card it , you can usually take up to 20% off a shop price if not more if you buy online.

Its up to you but the celeron wont be up to much in a while and they dont game well whereas the AMD cpu is ideal for gamers, and it depends on what gfx card you can get but x700s are pretty cheap now.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
the x700 is really cheap due to black friday. black friday is the day after thanksgiving. all stores have huge sales. everything is real cheap.