Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

armynurse

armynurse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a pc running xp and a toshiba laptop which is also xp. At present I connect the laptop to my existing Isp simply by removing phone jack from my main pc and plugging in the laptop. This is a dial up connection. I haveconsidered changing over to broadband BUT do not know if I will still be able to use my laptop and my main pc on the one connection . Can anyone help please

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if both machines have ethernet cards you will be able to set up an internet connection sharing type of network by getting either a router or a switch that you would connect between your broadband modem and your computers....if the laptop has wireless capability you would be able to use a wireless router to accompllish this as well

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
broadband will allow you to connect both--you simply insert a dsl.cable router in between your cable modem and PCs. Such routers are very cheap these days

as for now, you could set up internet connection sharing on the desktop, and buy a cat5 crossover cable then connect your laptop to the desktop.

With internet connection sharing, the desktop will act as a router for you, allowing your laptop to connection through your desktop.