Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox displays fine, MSIE does not

• Please log in to reply

matt621

matt621

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is very hard to describe in words and can only be seen to be understood:

see http://openforbusiness.com

Using either MSIE or Firefox, it displays as designed.

Now click on any of the other pages, (links under the logo or at the bottom of the page)

In MSIE, the bottom footer of the page is not at the bottom of the browser window, like it is on the main page. The subpages all were taken from the main page using it as a template so I don't know why it would not work.

And get this, if you hit reload, then it displays it correctly!

If you go directly to one of the pages, at least for me, for example, http://openforbusine...t-account.shtml it does show correctly. It's just if you visit it by clicking on one of the links from the main page that the footer is not at the bottom of the window.

If you visit the pages with Firefox, all the pages display correctly.

I've tried a lot of differnt things to try and get the subpages to display correctly, but so far, nothing has worked. Maybe someone here has an idea or solution?

Help please! :-)

Thank you!

Edited by matt621, 23 November 2005 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ive checked it out in firefox and in internet explorer and this is what i got...

Firefox:

1) The text size is different (my settings)

2) All works fine

Internet explorer:

1) If you go to the page directly, the menu at the bottom is displayed correctly.

2) If you click on the link then click refresh the menu moves down?

I don't really know what to suggest, but is it really a big problem?

And are you using dreamweaver and css?

matt621

matt621

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I know I have a problem with the text, and that will be the next question if I can't figure it out.

To this issue, yes, it's important to me that it display correctly. The menu at the bottom should be at the bottom of the window always.

No, don't use dreamweaver or css. Just pure html. It is a constructed page pulling from several ssi tags, but all the pages are pure shtml.

Edited by matt621, 23 November 2005 - 03:16 PM.

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hmm.. I don't understand why it won't work then.. maybe post the code you are using..

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
matt621,

Could you attach the .html documents here so we can download them and scan them to see if there are any problems with the code.

:tazz:

matt621

matt621

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried attaching the files, but it does not let me.

"Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension."

It's just as easy to do a view source.

the index.shtml page is fine.

it's the subpages that have a problem, but only in msie.

matt621

matt621

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I have a clue.

I took the index.shtml file and copied it over exactly to test.shtml

I then created a link for test.shtm and it works PERFECTLY!

So then I removed the script at the top of the page on test.shtml and now it does not work as it should. It's just like all the other pages that have a problem putting the footer at the bottom of the window.

So, somehow that script (which is just a pop up window) forces the page to display correctly, I suspect because the popup is forcing a reload on the index.shtml page.

So now the question becomes: why does it work correctly in firefox, but not MSIE?

Also, why does it work if you go to the page directly via url, but not if you get to the page by clicking on a linke from the main page? That's really got me stumped.

Edited by matt621, 26 November 2005 - 05:45 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's the infobar in Internet Explorer SP2.

The infobar pushes the page down in IE so it makes it look as if the bar is hitting the bottom of the screen on those pages with the popup, whereas on every other page that doesn't trigger the infobar, the banner won't hit the bottom of the window.

Firefox works in a different way and because of its tabs means there's always an amount of space otherwise used up which pushes the page down. Although this behaves in exactly the same way as it does with no tabs.

If I may also say so, your HTML source code leaves a bit to be desired.

matt621

matt621

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It's the infobar in Internet Explorer SP2.

The infobar pushes the page down in IE so it makes it look as if the bar is hitting the bottom of the screen on those pages with the popup, whereas on every other page that doesn't trigger the infobar, the banner won't hit the bottom of the window.

what's the info bar?

If I may also say so, your HTML source code leaves a bit to be desired.

hehe. Just working out the bugs.