Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Since reformatting with a retail XP/2 disk a few months ago, all has been smooth sailing 'til now. Suddenly(last 10 days or so)every time I copy a file or move a file from one folder to another I get a Windows installer trying to install Roxio's Easy Creator 6 then telling me that it needs the Roxio CD to do the job. Fine, except that Easy Creator has been installed and functioning well for 3 months. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Roxio and have tried System Restore point prior to appearance of the ghost installer. Neither strategy worked.

Can anyone give me a lead on what might be going on(registry or dll problem?) I'm guessing because I don't have the knowledge to competently troubleshoot the problem myself. Thanks for any help.')
:tazz: :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
get teh windows installer clean up
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

then select roxio in the box you get when you run it

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks gerryf, I found the installer cleanup utility thru a Google thread the other day. Worked like a charm. Should have immediately updated my post but Thanksgiving got in the way. Have to tell you I was very surprised to find such a utility at Microsoft for such a narrow and specific problem. Apparently installer issues are not as rare as i thought. Again, thanks for your help.