Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with RAM

• Please log in to reply

huddy32

huddy32

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I Have an HP a1230n it has a AMD 3800+ and cam with a GB of RAM (2x512) Infineon 512MB PC3200 DDR 64D64320HU5C and i just bought aanother GB of RAM i figured RAM was RAM but i loaded up two different games, (fry cry and battle field) and timed the time it took to load up and fry cry took longer with the new ram and battle field load time went from 60 seconds to 50 seconds. the new ram is just one card and is A-DATA 1G D400 ADBGC1A16 RT, it was cheap but like i said i thought ram was ram. did i do somthing wrong..........

Just so you know i did the powerleap.com thing and when i looked up memory it gave me the name of the 2 512 ram cards but for the new one it just says "1024MB PC3200 DDR"

Should i return the ram and but a more expensive kind?
please help

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Don't use cheap ram, especially with an HP system, they really don't like it. I suspect your system may be running dual channel ram as well, in which case (assuming you have 2 empty slots), you would be better off buying 2 identical sticks of 512MB, rather than a single 1GB.

Go to Crucials website (www.crucial.com), make sure you select the relevant country (UK/USA) then use their memory advisor. It will auto-detect your system (or you can select it manually) & Crucial will give you a list of ram that is guaranteed 100% compatible with your system.

If I were you, I would return the memory you bought & buy direct from Crucial instead. Not only will they guarantee compatibility but they also offer a life-time warranty.

huddy32

huddy32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thank you