Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question regarding viruses and wireless LAN

• Please log in to reply

punrein

punrein

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All -

Happy Thanksgiving eve! I've got 3 computers running off a wireless LAN. My router is a Netgear router and I have 2 desktops with wireless adaptors and one laptop with a different adaptor. I've been used 802.11b technology. All O/S's on the computers are XP. I've had this setup for 3 yrs with no problems and have been able to connect to the internet with lightening speed.

My computers are running extremely slowly when connecting to the Internet. Just to eliminate the possibilities, I disconnected the router and hardwired one computer to the DSL modem in the hopes that it's something as simple as a bad router. No such luck. The connection speeds are every bit as slow. I contacted my DSL provider and had them run a line check. Everything as normal and is in fact showing as above average speed on their side. I'm thinking the only conclusion left is that I've got a virus on one of the computers, but one of the computers has Norton and shows no viruses, the other desktop uses a free antivirus software out of Germany, and the laptop (which I rarely use) I just go to a website like trendmicro for a free virus scan. Everything comes back clean.

My question: how next should I proceed to diagnose the problem? Should I run hijackthis on all 3 computers and submit separate logs? This whole thing is really giving me a headache and I'm getting too old to spending time until 3:00 a.m. trying to dianose the problem!! :tazz:

I'd be grateful for some advice. Thank you.

Advertisements

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: There are other "types" of malware other than viruses, such as spyware & trojans.
Have you also run antiSPYWARE scans and/or anti-TROJAN scans ? If yes, what are
the names of the programs and the results. If you do not have antispyware program(s)
or an anti-trojan program on these computers, I recommend the good & FREE Ad-Aware
Personal antispyware program, best downloaded from :
www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html .
For an anti-trojan program, I recommend Ewido available at www.ewido.net/en . They offer
a free "trial" of the "full" program for 10-14 days and after the trial expires, you can retain
the program WITHOUT the automatic updates & "real-time" protection .
For a good source of info for good & FREE programs to protect a computer, see :
http://members.acces...dieUpdated.html .

punrein

punrein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks.....I'm visiting the newbies forum and will meticulous follow each step that is being outlined. I'm going to do this for all 3 computers....hopefully it'll do the trick. If not, then I'll be back here again! Looks like a great website.

Once my stepson heads off to college, I suspect that many of these problems will be circumvented.

:tazz:

Thanks again!