Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVDRW -> A flaw exists in the Power calibration area

• Please log in to reply

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have a Liteon 16x DVDRW SOHW-16735 which has began bringing up the error "A flaw exists in the Power calibration area" tonight. For the last week or 2 its been having trouble finializing disks. I'm pretty sure the drive is stuffed, but my question is that since dvds and cds use different lasers/frequencies/wavelengths (whatever!) maybe the CDRW portion will still work? Or do both technologies use the same 'power calibration area'? It seems to be able read dvds (data and video) OK.

thanks

Adrian.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a known problem in two regards:

1) Older versions of Nero 6 have been known to break on Service Pack 2 and do things they shouldn't.

2) Problems with the disks being used OR the burner is indeed going to die.

In more recent drives, they usually use the same laser and the firmware inside the unit works out whether its a CD or a DVD so generally in a nutshell if one half's gone chances are the other half has as well.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Try upgrading the driver and firmware for you drive, if avalible by the manufacturer.

heres a link to the driver/firmware page:
http://www.liteon.co...o?action=driver

but i noticed all it suggest for a driver is the windows default one, and there is no firmware update listed. all i can suggest is to try using different burning software

Edited by Thebinaryman, 25 November 2005 - 07:32 PM.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Liteon suggested I update the firmware too. I've done so but I haven't burnt a disk since. Personally I don't think it will fix the problem since it used to work fine and I hadn't changed anything. I also mentioned earlier I've tried more than 1 burning program.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks guys for your advice so far. I updated the firmware as liteon suggested and have since burnt 2 dvds successfully. I don't understand how this fixed the problem when it used to work just fine the way it was but I'm not complaining, I guess.

You can close the thread now if you want. Thankyou again to all those who contributed.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
That is why they release new firmware for devices. When they find out things that happen to devices over time, they make fixes for them. Updating drivers and firmware can fix many of peoples problems out there, sometimes just reinstalling a driver does the trick. If anyone knew exactly why a reinstall of the same old thing, helps things, they would be very wise.