Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wasted away again in ME-ville

• Please log in to reply

mijo

mijo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have inherited?? a computer with windows me/computer will boot to dos with boot disk/scan disk has been run and errors correctd/however, cannot run windows me-windows will not load-gives me an error messalge of isl helper mangager driver missing/this sytem had macafee installed on it and a firewall/don't know if this matters-my question is where can i get windows me without paying a ton of money -the reason i want me is that i have games on the computer that will only run with the old system and wil not run on xp-i've tried that. I have considered using dynamite on this system and have been advised that this ecologically unsound. Will a re-install of me do the trick-again i cannot run windows/the computer shuts down when i try. Thanks ;) :tazz:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you try booting up in safe mode? Possibly it will load without driver so you can at least use the ME restore utility. Hopefully, there are some previous restore points you can try which will allow you to boot normally.

If you have an old Win 9x install disc, I would use this until you come across a Win ME disc. Trying to "get" a Win ME install disc without purchasing one has its problems since M$ is starting to have you verify your OS before using some of its sites (like Windows Updates). If you do come across a ME install disc, I would reformat hard drive and do a clean install from scratch.

Ron