Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver Error

• Please log in to reply

Bradford

Bradford

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been getting some random reboots lately while on XP. Upon restart, I get sent to a page with the error description:

An unknown error occurred in NVIDIA Graphics Driver, created by NVIDIA® Corporation.

I had a problem with my Nvidia card, and re-installed my old ATI card. I updated the driver for the ATI card, but am getting this error about the Nvidia driver. I'm not really sure what step to take next in solving this problem, and the Windows troubleshooting support doesn't seem to have any solution to the problem.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bradford...

Take a look in Device Manager (Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager button). If your NVIDIA card is still listed (under Display Adaptors), right click on it and choose "Uninstall"...Click "Ok" when asked if you are sure you want to remove the device from your system. Click "Apply" and then "Ok" to exit Device Manager.

Reboot your machine and let us know if this resolves the issue.

wannabe1

Bradford

Bradford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did the search and the Nvidia card is not showing up. The error message I get on reboot makes it sound as if the Nvidia driver is still here though, and is creating an error.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bradford...

Download Driver Cleaner 3.3 and see if it will remove the remnants of your NVIDIA drivers.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 25 November 2005 - 12:55 AM.

Bradford

Bradford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
One other thing....

When I look in my add/remove software section, it lists the Nvidia display driver. When I try to remove it, I get a message asking me if I want to remove it.....so I click "yes" but it still does not remove it.

Bradford

Bradford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Bradford...

Download Driver Cleaner 3.3 and see if it will remove the remants of your NVIDIA drivers.

wannabe1

Thanks. I'll give that a try.