Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with malware

• Please log in to reply

momfor5

momfor5

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=purple] I have malware on my computer I get get rid of it with ad-aware(ad-aware seems to hang in deleting) or spybot. I know alittle about computers very little. I was just woundering if there is a program that will get it all out. I am running windows Me. Like i said I need a program or step by step on hoe to remove it. Thanks For reading :tazz:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok I think this is what you wanted (hope i did it right ). Thanks for your help. :tazz:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 9:18:09 PM, on 1/27/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\MIXER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ULEAD SYSTEMS\ULEAD PHOTO EXPLORER 8.0 SE BASIC\MONITOR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRINTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\LEXLIGHTS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CALLWAVE\IAM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FINEPIXVIEWER\QUICKDCF.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VISIONEER\PAPERPORT\CONFIG\EREG\REMIND32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://iland.net/iwe...p?town=Columbia
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead AutoDetector] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Explorer 8.0 SE Basic\Monitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] Lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexmarkPrinTray] PrinTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: TextBridge Instant Access OCR.lnk = C:\Program Files\TextBridge Classic\Bin\TBMenu.exe
O4 - Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\PrintMaster\pmremind.exe
O4 - Startup: Lexmark P122 Activitiy Indicator.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\lexlights.exe
O4 - Startup: Internet Answering Machine.lnk = C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.EXE
O4 - Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
O4 - Startup: reminder-ScanSoft Product Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files\Visioneer\PaperPort\Config\Ereg\REMIND32.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave....DL_DownLoad.CAB

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hmm, your log looks clean try this:

Please run a free online virus scan here: Needs to be run with Internet Explorer.
http://www.pandasoft...n_principal.htm

And a free trojan scan here: (you will have to download the 30 day trial of "The Cleaner" here)
http://www.moosoft.com/

Reboot your PC. Let me know if they found anything.

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
[SIZE=7] ok I think my computer is going nuts. Last night when my son was on it the windows registry checker came up and said there was an error click ok and windows will repair it so we did as it said. We clicked ok a number of times and it wouldn't go away until I hit ctrl+alt+del and end task. The good news is after this happend the malware is gone. I ran ad-aware and it only found 14 things and they were all data miners or somthing like that, befor I would find 100 thing and more than half were malware . All this happen before I sent you this list of what was on running on my computer, I just didn't know it fix everthing until today. :tazz: [/SIZE]

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok I think my computer is going nuts. Last night when my son was on it the windows registry checker came up and said there was an error click ok and windows will repair it so we did as it said. We clicked ok a number of times and it wouldn't go away until I hit ctrl+alt+del and end task. The good news is after this happened the malware is gone. I ran ad-aware and it only found 14 things and they were all data miners or something like that, before I would find 100 thing and more than half were malware . All this happen before I sent you this list of what was on running on my computer, I just didn't know it fix everything until today. :tazz:

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok I did go run the two programs and the panda one came up with nothing and the cleaner came up with 3. Here they Are I did quarantine them.

c:\ windows\system\ide 21201.vxd syncroad

c:\temp\salm.exe n-case

c:\ visioneer documents\maxdesk.ini n- case

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Please delete your temporary files by deleting all files and folders that are in those folders (do not delete the temp folder itself) like for example
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\
C:\Temp\
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\
Also delete your Temporary Internet Files, be sure to also select delete all offline content.

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I deleted the temporary Internet files. But I’m not sure what you mean by temporary files. :tazz: If you could give a little more info I would be grateful. Also thanks for all you help.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to the location of each of the 3 "temp" folders listed above and delete everything inside them. Do not delete the temp folder, just the contents.

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Help!! My husband turn on the computer and An error box came up as it usually does, Its the windows registry it says windows will now restart and repair your registry and if you click ok the computer restarts and the error box comes back so I just hit ctrl+alt+Del and end task. Well he click ok and now Norton will not come up so I uninstalled it and restarted my computer and now when I go to control panel there is nothing in there in, the line at the bottom of the page says 31 objects so I went to my computer and nothing there so I went to help and it would never load. I can still get on the Internet and all my picture are still there. I not sure what happened HOPE YOU CAN HELP.
Thanks Wanda

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well I will try to find out what this may be related to. In the meantime, I suggest backing up your important data onto disks just in case. Windows ME is highly unstable and we really don't know what it could surprise us with. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-