Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound problem

• Please log in to reply

angel2infinity

angel2infinity

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi

I am fixing my friends computer and she is running Windows 2000 and is using SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio with the latest driver with the following details

Provider: Analog Devices
Date: 1/16/2002
Version: 5.12.1.3044
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Driver was obtained from the SoundMAX site.

The problem is that when we start the computer the sound works and you can go in and play music and everything is fine and you can go onto the net and play games etc and it works fine - for a while - and then suddenly it will just stop working - there will just be no sound at all. Sometimes clearing the cookies and temp internet files etc will restore sound and other times that doesn't work. Sometimes restarting is the only way to get it back. Other times just going somewhere else will work. :tazz:

We have tried (while the sound isn't working) going into the soundmax control panel and checking all the settings and doing a test and it all works fine in there, and we have checked the volume controls and they all are ok, and we have even gone in and done direct x diagnostics and they are all ok too (btw we have DirectX9), yet the sound doesn't work in the games still. Other times it will work fine in these same games! :)

I have tried doing a search for another driver for this and have found nothing - I keep getting sent back to download this same driver that is already installed. I have even tried uninstalling, then rebooting and manually reinstalling the driver - to no avail.

Please help! It's driving us crazy! :)

Thanks
Angel

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I have herd of this before with windows 2000, make sure you have all the latest service packs installed, I know that fixed this before, hope it will for you.

Thats all I can think of at the moment

rick

angel2infinity

angel2infinity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but that we have all the updates and Service Packs. There is nothing available for optional updates from the Microsoft Update site either :tazz:

I have wondered if I needed to update the BIOS (I have heard of that needing to be done sometimes), but I am not sure how to do that or how to find out where to get the info. Do you think looking into that might help?

Angel

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is the plug in the back in the socket properly it could be as simple as the speaker connection falling out or if you use a control unit it may be that at fault if its only an intermittewnt sound problem it isnt always the pc.

angel2infinity

angel2infinity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, we have checked the plugs. Everything is ok there. We have also considered that it could be the speakers too, except that these were used on another computer recently and worked fine.

Angel