Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2Computers - What Do I Need To Do?

• Please log in to reply

SimplyRose

SimplyRose

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
:)

Hi Gang!

We just got a used PC from my brother for my boys to use.

This other computer will be used in another room and I need to use the same phone line and the same dial-up, if theses things are possible.

Is there a way to do this? If so, what steps do I need to take to set this up?

The 2 PC's will be in use at the same time a lot of the time as well.

I hope someone will give me instructions on how this works, this will be a part of the boys christmas and I would appreciate all the help I can get about this. :tazz:

I need step-by step instructions please, as I am new to this sort of thing :)

TIA

Edited by SimplyRose, 26 November 2005 - 02:07 PM.

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi,

First olf all, you can't use the same phone line as a dial-up connection at the same time, and you can't use the same dialpup connection at the same time. I would suggest getting a broadband connection, and networking the two compuers to share the connection. If you are going to do this, usually companies do installation for you, but if not, let me know, and I'll tell you what to do next. Good luck.

~ejay563

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

First olf all, you can't use the same phone line as a dial-up connection at the same time, and you can't use the same dialpup connection at the same time. I would suggest getting a broadband connection, and networking the two compuers to share the connection.

It's perfectly possible to share a dial-up connection between two computers. You just need one to host the connection and tell the other one to use that one instead of trying to dial up on its own. Can be easily accompished by two network cards, some RJ45 and a bit of alteration with the settings of Windows.

Here you go:
http://www.practical...sharing/xp_ics/

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
It's indeed possible to do this, but you should know that running two computers on a dial-up connection at the same time is going to be incredibly slow. Imagine how fast your internet is right now, and cut it in half. That's approximately what your speed is going to be.

You can do this, as Neil Jones said, but you're going to be very dissatisfied with the speed.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Good shot Matt

SimplyRose

SimplyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok then,
Instead of using the same dial-up account, how about what to do if I do it this way?

I get them a different ISP so they will have their own!

Now, I can't afford 2 phone lines, am disabled and have a very limited income,
so what steps can I take using the same phone-line but different dial-ups?

Any help on doing it that way? And what would be needed to set that up?

Thanks Folks :tazz:

P.S. Don't know what Broadband is - I believe I have been told that service is not available out here, I live in the country

Edited by SimplyRose, 26 November 2005 - 02:08 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Broadband is exactly as the name would (sort of) imply - an internet connection that uses a "broader band" of data flow. In other words, it allows more information to flow back and forth between your computer and the internet at the same time as well as at a faster rate. If you live in the country, most likely the only broadband internet available to you is satellite which is the most expensive of the domestic broadband options. Given your limited income, it's not the way to go.

At any rate, connecting two computers to the internet using the same phone line is going to garner the same results no matter how you set it up. You're splitting the bandwidth of the connection in half to allow data flow to both computers. Also, as far as I know, there is no way to connect two computers to the internet at the same time on the same phone line using separate ISPs. The only way to connect two computers using the same phone line is by sharing the connection using a local network which will result in halving the speed of your connection.

If you're unable to afford two phone lines or some form of broadband, I'm sorry to say there's no way to maintain your current level of speed AND connect both computers simultaneously.

SimplyRose

SimplyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Matt,

If I get the separate phone-line and separate ISP, that is basically my only choice?

And, if I do it that way, will it be nessasary to set-up a network, since all would be separate anyway?

Does a "ROUTER" have anything to do with this topic?

I have heard or rather read stuff about routers but paid no attention, as it did not apply to me.

Would a router change any of my options, or rather my only option?

Thanks for your support Matt and everyone else! :tazz:

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
If you wish to maintain your current internet speed, your only real option is to get a separate phone line and (consequently) separate ISP. If you do it that way, there is no need to set up a network unless you want to share files between the two computers.

A router is usually used to connect more than one computer to a broadband connection. To offer a (hopefully) brief explanation, all internet connections have what is called "bandwidth," which is the amount of data that can flow across the connection at any one time. This is where the term "broadband" comes from. It simply means that the connection has a larger "bandwidth". A router simply splits the bandwidth as many times as is necessary to allow multiple computers to connect to the same connection.

For example (and this is a fictional and primitive example), let's assume a broadband cable connection has a bandwidth of 30. One computer connected to that modem directly would get all 30 "points" of the bandwidth. One computer connected to that modem through a router would still get all 30 "points". However, if we added a second computer to the router the bandwidth would then get split and each computer would get 15 "points" of bandwidth, three would get 10, etc. Again, this is fictional and it is actually a bit more complicated but that is essentially how a router works.

In short, a router doesn't help you because it still splits the bandwidth which is exactly what sharing the internet connection over a network does. To reiterate, if you wish to maintain your current level of speed and connect both computers to the internet simultaneously, you'll have to get another phone line.

SimplyRose

SimplyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
:tazz:

Thanks of all the help and info Matt, I know it may be difficult dealing with someone like me that has little knowledge about such things......lol

I appreciate you sticking it out with all my questions, that was very sweet of you!!!! :)

I have at least learned about this subject enough to know what I need to get taken care of before Christmas.

You are very kind and I thank you!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Routers are primnarily designed for Broadband connections, though they're useful for file sharing they will be overkill in your situation.

If it comes down to affordability, you have three options:

1) Don't bother at all and leave the boys' PC internetless.

2) Set up the networking as I posted above and accept the speed decrease (which will only be noticeable if both systems are accessing the system at the same time).

3) Plug both systems into the phone line by themselves and have a timeshare agreement; for example if the boys are at school they won't need the internet and your computer can use it. You can set the same dial-up number and account on both systems BUT you won't be able to have both computers on the internet at the same time.

Edited by Neil Jones, 26 November 2005 - 05:03 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
^ Right. I suppose I should have made it a bit more clear that you will only notice a slower connection if both computers are using the internet at the same time. Otherwise, it will operate as normal.

SimplyRose

SimplyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Neil and Matt!!!!

That's a perfect idea! :)
That will save me loads for a while, for sure...funny how I didn't even think of that scenario.......lol
I am sure that they will only be using it temporarily for homework, and I think they can play the disc I have of games without the internet being needed, once I install them for them, at least I don't think they require internet usage once they are installed, registered and drivers installed.

They are too young for e-mails or chatting, so that is not an issue.

You guys are great!

Thank You!!! :tazz:

Off-Topic: Could anyone guide me to where I can post a question about posssibly altering my V.92
modem string for detecting Caller ID? I am trying to find a service that will show who is calling and put modem on hold to take the call if it is family or important.

I won't go further here but if anyone knows of a good place to post that, it would be a great help.
I don't want a monthly fee, just a software I can buy outright. I used callwave for years and got tired of paying for it when it didn't always work.

If no-one knows where to post that, thank you for all your time! :)

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
I suppose the best place for that would be the Applications Forum.

Glad we could help, and I'm sorry about the confusion. For some reason I remembered you saying that the computers would often be using the internet at the same time, but I think I was confusing your thread with another.