Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive won't open

• Please log in to reply

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi.

I am having a problem where my DVD drive will not open. When i push the eject button, nothing happens, and there is no noice indicating it is jammed. If i go to my computer, D drive and select eject, my comp. freezes. I have drived roboting, turning off the computer and using the pin, reinstalling the dvd drive (benq 1640) and flashing the drive. I have also tried removing it using device manager and then reinstalling it.
So i think I'm going to have to take it back because its only a month old, but my question mostly is:
I bought this drive because the spinning motor on my old CD drive went, and now I'm suspecting the ejecting motor has gone. Why do the motors keep dying? is it possible there is a power problem shorting them out? the first drive lasted a year, and this one a month. So if anyone knows if that could be a problem, or any ideas how to make this drive work, I would really appreciate the info.
Thanks as always
Craig

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It could be power problems BUT it could also be down to how much you use it. Its more than likely the drive came from a batch that for whatever reason has been given motors that have packed up before their time.

If you're constantly using the drive day in and day out and do multiple copies of anything and everything (and I'm certainly not saying that you are pirating or anything like that), then its going to die a lot quicker than it would if you only use it twice a day every four or five days.