Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTVDM.Exe taking 100% cpu usage

• Please log in to reply

Nigel

Nigel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Although I'm only running 32 bit applications my PC slows and then stops altogether. Checking the task managet and discovered that the NTVDM.exe (NT Virtual Dos Machine)
is hogging 100% of the CPU.
I know that this fires up when ever you start a 16 bit application or open a dos window and stays resident to make launching any further 16 bit apps quicker
But Help how can I stop it hogging all the processor.....

Advertisements

techchik

techchik

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Nigel,

I got a program called TAMEDOS which knocks NTVDM right back into line. I upgraded all our office computers to XP while I still have 7 users running a critical DOS program and this program worked great for me. They have a free trial so you can test it and I found the cost (I forget just now how much it was) to be reasonable.

Here's their weblink:

http://www.tamedos.com/

Good luck!

TechChik